Treatment, Causes and Symptoms of Calcium Deficiency
Every nutrient has its own different role in the body. One of these nutrients is calcium. To strengthen bones and teeth, it is necessary to include calcium-rich substances in food. In addition, it also plays an important role in maintaining muscles better. There are many other benefits of calcium, which you will learn about in this article. In this article of My Health Only, we will talk about the treatment, causes and symptoms of calcium deficiency in the body. The information given in this article is based on various researches.
Read further for information
Here first we are telling you what is called calcium deficiency.
What is calcium deficiency –
Researchers have done many researches in this regard. This research has been published on the website of NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology). The daily requirement of calcium for everyone in research is described as follows:
- 700 mg daily for ages 1 to 3
- 1,000 mg per day at 4 to 8 years old
- 1,300 mg per day from 9 to 13 years old
- 1,300 mg daily in 14 to 18 years
- 1,000 mg per day from age 19 to 50
- 1,000 mg daily for 51- to 70-year-old men
- 1,200 mg daily for 51- to 70-year-old women
- 1200 mg daily in those over 70 and
- 1,000 mg per day for women aged 19 to 50 (pregnant / lactating)
When foods with less calcium are consumed than this amount, then there is a deficiency of calcium in the body. This condition is called calcium deficiency or hypocalcemia.
Read further in the article about the reasons behind calcium deficiency.
Calcium deficiency causes –
There can be several reasons for calcium deficiency, which are:
- Inadequate calcium intake: Calcium deficiency can occur due to not consuming enough calcium-rich foods daily or not using calcium supplements. Due to this, problems such as bone weakness, muscle spasms, blood vessel contractions, cardiac problems and bad effects on the ability of the nervous system may have to be tackled.
- Due to nutritional deficiencies: A research found that nutrients like Vitamin-D, magnesium and phosphorus increase the absorption of calcium in the body. Therefore, deficiency of these nutrients can also reduce calcium levels in the body. Milk and other rich products are rich sources of vitamin-D, phosphorus and magnesium. In addition, sunlight in the morning has also been considered a good source of vitamin-D.
- Menopause: According to research, estrogen helps maintain calcium within bones. Estrogen levels decline after menopause, causing the bones to weaken.
- Age: As age increases, the body becomes weak in absorbing calcium from foods. Therefore, elderly people need more calcium.
- Hypocalcemia: In addition, hypocalcemia is also a condition in which the calcium levels in the fluid portion of the blood or plasma decrease below average.
- Hypoparathyroidism: This is the condition when the secretion of parathyroid hormone decreases. In this situation the level of calcium present in the blood decreases and the level of phosphorus (hyperphosphatemia) increases. Parathyroid hormone works to maintain the balance of calcium and phosphorus levels in the body.
After knowing the reasons, here we are talking about the symptoms of calcium deficiency.
Symptoms of Calcium Deficiency –
It is natural for everyone to get into the mind of how to find out less calcium in the body. In response to this, we are talking about the symptoms of calcium deficiency, which are as follows:
- Tingling in the lips, tongue, fingers and feet: The most common symptom is tingling and numbness around the mouth. In addition, symptoms include numbness of the lips and tingling or prickling in the fingers.
- Muscle spasms and weakness: Muscle spasms can be caused by malfunction of parathyroid glands and calcium deficiency. In addition hypocalcemia can also cause muscle weakness.
- Epilepsy: Epileptic seizures can also be one of the symptoms of calcium deficiency.
Sudden cramps in the vocal cord in the throat.
After the symptoms of calcium deficiency, know about the disease caused by calcium deficiency.
Calcium deficiency diseases –
According to a research published on NCBI website, calcium deficiency can cause many health related problems. Calcium deficiency diseases are as follows.
- Osteoporosis: Osteoporosis is a condition when the amount of minerals in the bones starts decreasing rapidly. Due to this the bones become so weak that they can increase the risk of fracture and rupture. This problem is common in the elderly and women.
- Heart disease: Consuming sufficient calcium can provide protection against heart disease and stroke. Thus, calcium deficiency can pose a cardiovascular risk.
- High blood pressure: Calcium deficiency disease also includes the risk of high blood pressure.
- Cancer: Calcium deficiency can cause colon or rectum cancer and increase the risk of prostate cancer.
In this part of the article, we are telling you about calcium rich foods.
Calcium rich foods –
Calcium-rich foods can be beneficial to overcome calcium deficiency. Here, based on a research paper published on the NCBI website, we are telling which foods are rich in calcium.
- Green vegetables: Green vegetables can be a good source of calcium. They can be beneficial in meeting calcium deficiency. A good amount of calcium is found in broccoli, bananas and spinach.
- Fruits: Apart from vegetables, fruits have also been considered as a good source of calcium. Orange is the best among these fruits. About 50 mg of calcium is found in medium-sized oranges.
- Seafood: Apart from vegetables and fruits, seafood is also found in calcium. About 90 grams of sardines contain 270 mg, salmon fish 205 mg and tuna 10 mg calcium.
- Dairy Products: A good amount of calcium is also found in many types of dairy products. 415 milligrams of calcium is found in 1 cup of milk and 295 milligrams in 1 cup of curd. In addition, half a cup of ice cream contains 85 mg and half a cup of cottage cheese contains up to 75 mg of calcium.
Apart from these foods, good amounts of calcium are also found in grains, meat, beans and many types of dry fruits.
There is also more something special
In this part of the article, we will learn how to treat calcium deficiency.
Calcium deficiency treatment –
In order to avoid problems caused by calcium deficiency, treatment of calcium deficiency should be done as soon as possible. Here we are talking about treatment to overcome calcium deficiency.
- Calcium and vitamin D supplements may be given orally to correct calcium levels.
- Thiazide diuretics can be treated with. This sulfur-rich drug, which increases the excretion of sodium and chloride.
- It can be treated with phosphate binders and a low salt and low-phosphorus diet. Phosphate binders are a type of drug used to reduce the absorption of phosphates in the body.
- Supplements of calcium and vitamin-D can be taken to treat hypoparathyroidism.
Apart from this, calcium deficiency can also be treated with calcium intake, calcium supplements and injections given by the doctor. To avoid serious problems with calcium deficiency, it is best to get your doctor checked.
After treatment, we are talking about ways to avoid calcium deficiency.
Measures to avoid calcium deficiency –
It is better to avoid the disease caused by calcium deficiency, to keep this problem away from you beforehand. It is necessary for him to have sufficient amount of calcium in the body. Here we are talking about some easy steps to avoid calcium deficiency.
- Dairy products: Include dairy products i.e. milk, curd and cheese etc. in your diet every day. Lactose-free curd and cheese can also be good choices. Calcium content is found in these products.
- Green leafy vegetables: You can include green leafy vegetables like broccoli, cabbage and spinach in your diet.
- Fish: In case of calcium, sardines and salmon can be consumed.
- Nuts: A handful of nuts can be consumed as a snack daily.
- Do not consume caffeine, soft drinks and alcohol: all these inhibit calcium absorption.
- Sesame seeds: They contain good amount of calcium.
You learned about calcium deficiency through this article. Along with this, information about calcium deficiency diseases and measures to avoid them was also obtained. Here we will suggest you that calcium deficiency should be removed as soon as possible and a diet rich in nutrients should be consumed. Along with good nutrition, it is also important to exercise regularly to avoid diseases. For other health related information, keep reading My Health Only.