A little carelessness towards health can lead to illness. If not alert, even a minor cold and cough can cause physical problems, including wheezing in the throat. This can usually be treated, but ignoring the symptoms of wheezing poses other risks. In this article of Myhealthonly, we will tell about how to stop wheezing & the causes and symptoms of wheezing as well as the treatment of wheezing. Just stay tuned till the end of the article for complete information.
Let us now know what is wheezing.
What Is Wheezing?
Wheezing is a condition characterized by a slight whistling sound coming out of the throat during breathing. This happens when air passes through the narrowed breathing tubes in the lungs. This is a symptom that shows that the person is having trouble breathing. This sound can be heard more while exhaling. In addition, this sound can be heard even while breathing.
Let us now know what can be the causes of wheezing.
The problem of wheezing can occur mainly in people suffering from asthma. In addition, other causes of wheezing are listed below.
- Trapping of something in the lung during breathing
- Widening and damage to the large airways of the lungs
- Swelling and mucus build-up in the smallest air passages in the lungs
- Swelling and mucus in the main passageway that carries air to the lungs
- Wheezing due to COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease). COPD is a disease related to the lungs. Especially this happens when there is an infection in the respiratory system.
- Acid reflux disease is due to a disorder in the tube that carries food to the stomach
- Due to heart failure (cardiac asthma)
- Insect bite allergy
- Due to certain medicines such as aspirin
- Lung infections such as pneumonia
- Because of smoking
- Due to viral infection, especially in children under 2 years of age
- Causes of carcinoid cancer (a cancer of the lungs)
- Due to Vocal Cord Dysfunction. in which the throat contracts abnormally
- Mucus in the throat (postnasal drip)
- Sleep apnea (trouble breathing while sleeping)
- RS virus (flu-like symptoms)
keep reading articles
In this section, know what the symptoms of wheezing can be.
The symptoms of wheezing can be easily understood. As mentioned in the above article, when a person breathes in this condition, a whistling sound comes out of his throat, which can be recognized as a symptom of wheezing.
Apart from this, the noisy chest can also be considered a symptom of wheezing. The sound coming from the chest during breathing is called a noisy chest. In such a situation, if you feel any kind of sound or discomfort during breathing, then contact the doctor immediately. More scientific studies are still needed to identify its other symptoms.
Let us now know what can be the risk factors for wheezing.
Wheezing Risk Factors
The risk factors for wheezing can be as follows.
- Genetically due to asthma or atopy. Allergies that arise due to a genetic defect are called atopy.
- Eczema in childhood.
- Due to Allergic Rhinitis, in which the nose becomes inflamed.
- Allergic sensitivity. There is a prickling feeling in the skin.
- Due to viral infection.
- Viral infection in the respiratory system.
- Rhinovirus means an infection that aggravates conditions like sore throat and cold.
- Smoking and passive smoking during pregnancy. The smoke that a non-smoker gets through the air while smoking a cigarette, is called passive smoking.
The article is still pending
Next, we are telling the diagnosis of wheezing.
Wheezing can be diagnosed by the methods given in the article below. Some of these methods are as follows:
- Physical examination: The doctor may ask the patient about the intensity and timing of the wheezing sound. In addition, you may ask about any chronic head or throat surgery or radiation therapy to treat cancer.
- Chest X-ray: The doctor may recommend a chest X-ray to find out if something foreign is trapped in the respiratory tract or lungs.
- Pulmonary function test: The doctor can find out whether the condition of the respiratory tract is repairable or not through a pulmonary function test.
- CT scan: If there is no reduction in the symptoms of wheezing, then it may be a sign of a tumor. In such a situation, the doctor may recommend a CT scan to check it.
keep reading article
Next, we are being given information about the treatment of wheezing.
Wheezing can be treated in many ways. Mostly its treatment is done only by correcting that factor by investigating the cause. By the way, in this situation, the doctor can advise any of the remedies mentioned below.
- Through Symbicort – Medications such as Symbicort can also help treat wheezing as well as asthma and COPD involved in its cause. This medicine is inhaled. People with allergies are advised not to use it. Use it only after medical consultation.
- Curing Asthma – The problem of asthma is considered to be an important reason for wheezing. In such a situation, medical treatment can be taken to cure asthma. Inflammation in the air passages leading to the lungs can be reduced through medical treatment and medical procedures recommended by doctors. This can help in curing wheezing.
- Under medical supervision – Wheezing can be due to many reasons (asthma, viral infection, etc.). In such a situation, contact the doctor to know the exact reason. After this, the treatment of wheezing can be done through the guidelines and medicines given by the doctor for the treatment of wheezing.
Note – Do not use any of these procedures by yourself, but first consult a doctor.
In this section of the article, know which measures can be adopted to avoid wheezing.
Wheezing Prevention Tips
The following home remedies can be adopted to avoid wheezing.
- Drink Warm Liquids
The problem of wheezing can also be avoided by drinking warm liquids. Drinking warm liquids can help relieve mucus and sore throat and runny nose. As we mentioned above, one of the reasons for wheezing is mucus. In this case, removing the problem of mucus through a hot drink can help in avoiding wheezing. For this, you can also use hot water for drinking. Be sure to consult a doctor about other warm liquids to drink.
- Quit Smoking
As mentioned above, smoking is also included as the cause of wheezing. Therefore, avoid smoking. According to a report released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, secondhand smoke/passive smoking increases the risk of developing asthma in children. Due to this, the problem of wheezing can also arise in children. Just keep children away from secondhand smoke as well.
- Avoid Inhaling Humid Air
Some molds (fungus) are found in humid air and are a kind of microscopic organism. They mostly thrive and exist in the humid air. When these molds are inhaled through breathing, it can increase the risk of asthma. As mentioned above in the article, the problem of asthma can be one of the main causes of wheezing.
To avoid this situation, keep the humidity level in the house between 35-and 50%. This is possible through an air conditioner. Also, prevent water leakage behind the walls of the house, etc., as these can lead to mold growth.
- Eat More Fruits and Vegetables
Consuming more fruits and vegetables can help cure asthma and COPD which cause wheezing. This can reduce the risk of wheezing by many folds. However, do take the advice of a dietitian about which vegetables and fruits would be appropriate to consume.
- Do not exercise in cold and dry weather
Wheezing can also be avoided by not exercising in cold and dry weather. In fact, according to a report released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, breathing cold and dry air can increase the risk of asthma, which can lead to wheezing. During exercise, the speed of breathing increases anyway, so avoid exercising in such a place.
Let us now discuss the complications of wheezing.
After knowing the treatment of wheezing and the ways to avoid it, now it is my turn to know the complications caused by wheezing. Wheezing may seem like a common problem, but depending on the cause, in many cases, it can also have risks. Some of the complications of wheezing are as follows:
- Excessive breathlessness
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Coughing up blood
- Decrease in oxygen level
- Risk of recurrent pneumonia
- Worsening of mental state
- Cor pulmonale (weakening of the right side of the heart)
After knowing how to stop wheezing causes, symptoms, and prevention of wheezing, it will not be much trouble to avoid this problem and understand its treatment. Contact the doctor about this problem in time. Failure to do so can aggravate the problem and the situation will gradually become serious. Also, follow the tips to prevent wheezing mentioned in the article.
Frequently Asked Questions –
No, wheezing is a common problem, but if this problem lasts for a long time, it can be serious.
The doctor can check whether the wheezing is from the lungs or the throat with a stethoscope.
No, honey cannot stop wheezing but can reduce or improve it to a great extent.
The doctor’s advice should be taken as soon as wheezing occurs for the first time. Apart from this, if there is breathlessness and the color of the skin starts turning blue, then consult a doctor immediately.