Headache is a common problem, which can happen to anyone. Many people ignore it considering it normal. At the same time, there are some people who take medicine for headache without medical consultation to get rid of it quickly, which is not right. There can be many reasons behind this, ranging from normal to severe headache. In such a situation, you should know the important information related to it. Keeping this in mind, in this article of Myhealthonly, we are going to tell the types and causes of headache as well as home remedies for headache. Also, keep in mind that the mentioned home remedies are not a cure for headache, they can work to provide relief from pain to some extent. On the other hand, if the headache is getting more, then definitely get medical treatment done.
Before knowing the answer to the question of what to do in case of headache, let us first know the types and symptoms of headache.
Types & Symptoms of Headache
Table of Contents
Before knowing the treatment of headache, it is also necessary to know its types. The types of headache can be divided into four parts. Some of which are as follows –
- Tension headache – This is the most common headache. In this type of headache, a person feels severe pain on both sides of his head, as if someone is pressing the head with a rubber band from both sides. The following symptoms may appear in this type of headache.
- Tightness in the head, neck, shoulders and jaws.
- Having trouble sleeping.
- Pain in the scalp, neck and back of the head.
- The pain can last from half an hour to 7 days.
- The pain may be aggravated by stress, noise or exertion.
- Migraine – The pain in migraine occurs on one side of the head, due to which it is also called half-headed. In this, the patient feels pain like pricking something in the head. The exact cause is not yet known, but certain things can trigger a migraine. For example – sleeping too much or too little, hormonal changes, noise, stress or anxiety.
- Migraine starts from low and gradually starts intensifying.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Trouble with light.
Cluster headache – This type of headache can occur in very few people. There is severe pain on one side of the head. There may be a feeling of strain in the eyes and heaviness of the eyelids. Along with this, pain can also be felt around the eyes. This pain can last from 15 minutes to 3 hours.
- This pain can be felt on one side of the face and near the eyes.
- It may increase within 5 to 10 minutes and may persist for up to 2 hours.
- Swelling in or under the eyes.
- Excessive watering of eyes.
- Eyes becoming red
- Runny nose or nasal congestion.
Sinus headache – Sinus pain is felt in the front of the head and on the face. This type of headache occurs when there is a sinus cavity in the cheeks, nose, head and eyes. This headache becomes more intense when a person bends forward or tilts the head after waking up in the morning. Some of its symptoms may appear like this –
- Running nose.
- Nasal congestion.
- Feeling of pressure or pain in the face.
- Bad breath.
- Throat pain.
Before knowing the treatment of headache, it is important to know why headache occurs. Further information is being given on this subject.
Causes of Headache
Know here what can be the cause of headache. Some of these reasons may be normal, but it is important to pay attention to them in time. Read below Why do headaches happen?
- Hamstring strain
- Dental or jaw problems
- Diet (excess consumption of tea or coffee or staying hungry)
- Eye problem
- Hormonal changes
- Certain drugs
- Ear, nose, or throat problems
- Disease of the nervous system
- Any injury to the neck, head, or spine
- High blood pressure problem
- Sleeping, getting up or sitting in the wrong position
- Alcohol abuse
- Changes in weather or temperature, such as extreme cold or extreme heat
- Because of too much noise
- Causes of inflammation in the blood vessels (Temporal arteritis)
- Brain tumor
These were some of the reasons that can cause headache. Now know further some easy ways to do home remedies for headache.
14 Impressive Home Remedies for Headache
These remedies mentioned below are not headache medicine, but can be helpful in reducing mild headache for a while. Know below what to do in case of headache?
- Cold compress
- Few ice cubes or cold water
- Ice bag
Way to use :
- If someone is having headache during summer, then ice cubes filled in an ice bag can be placed on your forehead, neck and back for 10 to 15 minutes.
- If one does not have an ice bag, then by tying pieces of ice in a cloth, one can keep it on the painful place for a while.
If the question arises in the mind that what should be done in case of headache, then the easiest answer is cold compress. It has long been used as a self-care remedy for headaches. Home remedies for headache This method can be especially beneficial for migraine. In fact, according to a study published on the website of NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information), the use of frozen neck wrap can improve migraine headaches to a great extent. Although more research is needed on this, but it can be used to treat headache for short-term relief.
- Four small pieces of ginger
- Two cups of water
Way to use :
- Boil water in a pot.
- Put the ginger pieces in the boiling water.
- Now cover this boiling water for a while.
- After a while, filter the mixture and drink it.
- One or two cups of this mixture can be consumed in a day.
- If you want, you can also use ginger powder.
Talking about home remedies for headache, ginger can be an effective remedy. Ginger can be effective in migraine like an Ayurvedic medicine. In fact, a study has shown that consuming 500-600 mg of ginger powder every four hours for three to four days can be helpful in relieving migraine problems to a great extent. Along with this, ginger has also been compared to Sumatriptan – a medicine for migraine headaches. In this case, ginger can be used to make a home remedy for headache.
- Holy Basil
- A drop or two of basil oil
- 1 or 2 teaspoons of other oil that suits you (carrier oil)
Way to use :
- Mix basil oil with other oil.
- Now massage the forehead and neck lightly with this oil mixture.
- Then leave it for a few hours.
- This can give relief to a great extent.
- If there is more pain, it can be applied every few hours.
- Apart from this, consuming basil tea can also be beneficial.
Holy basil can also be considered beneficial in home remedies for headache. Basil essential oil can help provide temporary relief from a headache. In fact, Holy basil can be helpful in reducing the symptoms of stress and headache is one of the symptoms of stress. In such a situation, it can be said that basil oil or tea can be used for the remedy of mild headache.
- Peppermint oil
- A drop or two of peppermint oil
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
Way to use :
- Mix both the oils and massage the forehead with light hands.
- You can massage with this mixture at short intervals during pain.
Peppermint oil can be beneficial for home remedies for headache. This oil will not only make you feel cool but can also be helpful in relieving headache. This can be especially useful for tension headaches. It can be used for children above 6 years and adults as well. In addition, peppermint also contains menthol, which can provide relief from migraine headaches. On this basis, peppermint oil can be considered beneficial in the home remedy for headache.
Sometimes headaches, especially migraine headaches can also be cured by taking vitamins. Here the intake of a vitamin called Riboflavin (B vitamin) can prove to be effective. Riboflavin is found naturally in many foods, such as milk, eggs, nuts and green leafy vegetables. It can help in treating migraine. However, whether it can provide complete relief from headache or not, more research is needed.
- Rosemary oil
- 2-3 drops rosemary oil
Way to use :
- To get rid of headache, take the oil on your fingertips.
- Then smell the oil.
- This can be done in between.
Rosemary oil can help relax muscles and relieve headaches. It is mild and can affect the pain in a short time. Not only this, the problem of insomnia can also be reduced to a great extent by this oil. However, more research is still needed on this topic.
- Cloves as required
- Clove oil
- Almond or coconut oil
Way to use :
- If there is a home remedy for headache, then cloves can be tied in a handkerchief and smelled during headache.
- Apart from this, one or two teaspoons of clove oil mixed with almond or coconut oil can be applied on the forehead.
- In case of excessive pain, massage the forehead continuously with this mixture at intervals of a few hours.
Clove oil can be used as a remedy for headache. This can provide relief from headache, even if only for a while. At the same time, to get relief from headache, coarsely ground cloves can be consumed with a pinch of salt and milk. On the other hand, those who do not like to consume it, they can also use clove oil.
- Lavender Oil
- One or two teaspoons lavender essential oil
Way to use :
- You can smell this oil by applying it in a cloth or handkerchief.
- You can massage the forehead, neck and back with this oil.
- You can apply this oil before sleeping, so that you can get good sleep.
The benefits of lavender essential oil are many, one of them being headache relief. In fact, in a research published on the NCBI website, migraine patients who sniffed lavender essential oil saw an improvement in their migraine headaches. In such a situation, it can be said that lavender oil can be helpful in providing relief to some extent in migraine.
Coffee can be consumed in limited quantity to make home remedies for headache. Actually, the caffeine present in it has analgesic (pain-relieving) properties, which can help in relieving headache. However, up to 400 mg of caffeine can be consumed throughout the day, but more research is needed regarding its quantity. Apart from this, those who have migraine or chronic headache problem, they should consume coffee in small quantities or only after medical advice.
- A green-tea bag
- A cup of hot water
Way to use :
- Steep a green tea bag in a cup of hot water for a couple of minutes.
- You can also add some lemon juice and honey to it for taste.
- One to two cups of green tea can be consumed daily.
The benefits of green tea are many and one of them is relief from headache. As we have also mentioned above that consuming limited amount of caffeine can help in relieving the problem of headache. In such a situation, consumption of green tea in limited quantity can provide temporary relief from the problem of headache. However, excessive consumption of it can also increase the problem, so consume green tea carefully. Instead of taking medicine for headache, it is better to try a simple remedy like green tea first.
- Two to three drops chamomile essential oil.
- Two to three spoons of water.
Way to use :
- To treat a headache, add chamomile essential oil to the water.
- Then smell it.
- If you want, you can also use it in a diffuser.
- Apart from this, chamomile gel can also be used during a headache.
Chamomile essential oil or chamomile tea can also be effective in relieving a headache. In fact, chamomile has been used for years as a remedy for headaches. In addition, a research related to this has seen that the use of chamomile gel can prove to be effective in migraine patients within 30 minutes. It has been found to be very effective in migraine symptoms such as vomiting, nausea or headache. Apart from all this, chamomile can also act as an antidepressant. On this basis, it can be said that chamomile can be used to treat migraine.
Capsaicin, an important compound present in chilies, may help relieve headaches. According to research, nasal treatment of medicine containing capsaicin can be beneficial in migraine and cluster headache. A gel or balm containing capsaicin can also be used as a headache medicine. However, it is better to seek medical advice in this regard as self-treatment can be risky.
- Sandalwood powder (As required)
- Water (As required)
- Sandalwood oil (As required)
Way to use :
- Make a paste by adding water to sandalwood powder as required.
- Then leave this paste on your forehead for a while and wash it after drying.
- If you don’t want to apply the paste, sandalwood oil (easily available in the market or online) can be applied on the forehead.
- You can also smell sandalwood oil.
- Apart from this, steam can also be taken by adding a few drops of sandalwood oil in hot water.
Sandalwood can also be effective in home remedies for headache. The fragrance of sandalwood is very attractive and its effect is cool. In such a situation, if it can be applied or its fragrance can be taken during the headache, then the headache can be reduced. Although there is no solid evidence for this, but it has been used as a medicine for many years. This can be a simple method as a headache remedy.
- Betel leaves
- 4 to 5 betel leaves
- Few drops of camphor oil
- Water (as required)
Way to use :
- Grind betel leaves with water and add camphor oil to it.
- Now apply this mixture on your forehead and leave it for 10 to 15 minutes.
This home remedy for headache can be very beneficial. Actually, betel leaves have analgesic ie pain-relieving properties, which can be effective as a remedy for headache. However, there is no solid scientific evidence related to this.
Read till the end
The home remedies for headache mentioned above can be helpful to some extent. In such a situation, if the headache is frequent, then you can take the help of other remedies for home remedies for severe headache.
What You Can Do For A Headache
It is also necessary to take other treatments in order to get rid of headache. Know below what can be the treatment for headache.
Doctors can first diagnose a headache and then treat it according to the type of headache. These remedies are mentioned below –
Migraine headache – Talking about the remedies for migraine headache, doctors can try to reduce its symptoms. Your doctor may recommend a specific type of medication, such as sumatriptan. In addition, may recommend therapy to reduce stress. Diet can be changed and advice can be given not to consume migraine-increasing foods.
Tension headache – Doctors may prescribe antiinflammatory, analgesic (pain relievers), nonsteroidal and antidepressant medications to reduce tension headaches. This is one of the ways to relieve tension headache.
Cluster headache – Other treatments for cluster headache include triptan drugs, non-invasive vagus nerve stimulation (a type of electric therapy) and oxygen therapy (in which pure oxygen is given to the body). Apart from this, some medicines may also be given.
Acupressure – Acupressure can play an important role in getting relief from headache. Actually, there are some such important points in the body, which can be helpful in different problems. To get rid of headache, there are some important points in the body, on which pressure can be given to relieve pain. This therapy is called acupressure. Another advantage of this therapy is that it can also reduce the risk of side effects of any kind of medicine.
Caution: To get rid of headache, do the method of acupressure only under the supervision of an expert. If someone has a headache during pregnancy and a pregnant woman wants to do acupressure, then first take medical advice about it.
Some other common remedies are as follows –
- Pain relievers
- Massage therapy
- Dietary changes
- Some tips for stress management
- Certain medicines, such as contraceptives, can cause headaches as a side effect. Prohibiting their consumption.
- Treating headaches if they are caused by other problems (such as jaw or tooth pain and high blood pressure).
Now know how to cure headache by changing the diet.
Diet for Headache
The cause of headache can also be due to not taking the right diet somewhere. In such a situation, in this part of the article, we are giving information about how to treat headache with food and drink. Know what you can eat to get rid of headache.
What should we eat :
Foods containing riboflavin – Green vegetables, nuts, milk and eggs can be consumed as a remedy to cure headache. These are riboflavin rich foods. Actually, consumption of riboflavin (B vitamin) can work to provide relief in migraine.
Magnesium-rich foods – Consume magnesium-rich foods, as magnesium deficiency can be a cause of headaches. In this case, eating magnesium-rich foods such as bananas, avocados, apricots, cashews and almonds can be beneficial.
Vitamin D and calcium – Headache can also be treated by consuming a vitamin-D rich diet. Especially taking vitamin-D and calcium-rich diet together can provide relief to a great extent from migraine and premenstrual headache. The best source of Vitamin-D is the sun’s rays. Apart from this, egg yolk, or mushroom can also be consumed for Vitamin-D. On the other hand, green leafy vegetables like kale, broccoli, almonds, milk etc. can be consumed for calcium.
Water – Water is very important to keep the body healthy, but many people forget this and drink less water. Lack of water in the body can cause many diseases and headache is one of them. Therefore, drink more and more water and whenever you go out, keep a water bottle with you, so that you can drink water as soon as you feel thirsty. If we talk about the solution to cure headache, then drinking water can be effective.
What not to eat :
- Do not consume wine or other alcohol. It contains a chemical element called histamine, which can cause a headache. Also, avoid consuming cheese as certain cheeses can also contain histamine.
- Do not eat foods that contain flavor enhancers like MSG (monosodium glutamate). This can cause headache problem.
- Artificial sweeteners, they contain aspartame (artificial sweetener), which can increase the risk of developing a headache.
- Don’t eat chocolate, it can lead to migraine headache.
- Avoid the consumption of caffeinated substances, but keep in mind that if someone is used to consuming caffeinated foods, suddenly stopping their intake can also cause headache. In such a situation, it is better to reduce the intake of caffeine.
Now the question arises whether the home remedies for headache mentioned in this article are helpful in treating chronic headache or not.
Can these home remedies cure chronic headaches?
The headache home remedies mentioned in this article can be helpful as a treatment for a mild headache or to provide temporary relief from a severe headache. If we talk about the treatment of chronic headache, then only take the help of medical treatment for chronic headache. Chronic headache can also be a symptom of some other disease, so do not be negligent in this case.
Along with home remedies and balanced diet, physical activity, yoga and exercise are also necessary for headache. In this part of the article, we are giving information about yoga for headache.
Yoga for Headache
Yoga can help in keeping the body healthy and yoga can also be helpful as a home remedy for headache. Below we are telling about yoga for headache.
- Padmasana or Lotus posture
- First of all, spread a yoga mat on the ground and sit cross-legged on it.
- Keep the waist straight and close the eyes and continue the process of breathing normally.
- Ardha Pincha Mayurasana
- To do this asana, first stand straight and then slowly bend forward in kneeling posture. Now keep your elbow, palm and fingers on the ground.
- After coming in this posture, slowly raise your back, legs and hips upwards.
- Keep in mind that your spine should be straight.
- Staying in this posture, take a deep breath for a few seconds and release it.
- Then come back to your initial state.
- By doing this asana, your head and neck will get a lot of relief and pain can also go away.
- To do this, first of all, get into the cat pose on both knees and hands.
- Now while breathing, move the head upwards and press the waist downwards.
- After this, while exhaling, take the head down and try to touch the chin to the chest and at the same time lift the waist upwards.
- This will give relief to the neck, back and shoulders and along with flexibility, pain can also be reduced.
- In this, you lie down on your back by laying a mat on the ground and close your eyes.
- Keep both your hands at a distance of about one feet from the body.
- Then turn both the palms towards the sky.
- Keep a distance of two feet between your two feet.
- During this, your face will also remain towards the sky.
- Now continue the process of breathing normally.
- Stay in this posture for a while and then come back to the initial position.
Note: Be careful while doing these yogasanas and try to do them only under the supervision of an expert. Apart from this, if you have any injury or pain in shoulder, neck or back, then do these yoga poses only after consulting a yoga expert.
Know further, under which circumstances of headache, medical advice should be taken.
When should a doctor be consulted for headache?
Some headaches can also be a sign of serious diseases. In such a situation, pay attention to the things mentioned below and if you see any of these symptoms, then seek medical advice without delay.
- If the headache is for the first time and it disrupts the routine.
- If there is a sudden severe headache.
- Pain in the back of the head.
- If there is a regular headache and there is a lot of headache at one time.
- If there is difficulty in speaking, seeing, understanding or moving hands and feet with headache. If memory starts getting weak or you feel confused, seek medical advice.
- Severe headache within 24 hours.
- Headache with fever, nausea, vomiting, stiffness in the neck.
- If the headache starts after a head injury.
- If the headache is very strong and there is pain in one eye and the eye is red.
- If someone is above 50 years of age and has frequent headaches.
- If there are problems with vision along with headache, there is some discomfort in chewing or weight loss.
- If someone has ever had problems related to cancer, HIV or immunity in the past and suddenly new headaches start happening.
Read till the end
Know ahead some easy ways to prevent headache.
Prevention Tips for Headache
After home remedies for headache, know below some easy ways to prevent headache.
- Take a bath with cold or warm water.
- Gently massage the neck or head.
- Do not smoke or consume alcohol.
- Put a cold cloth on the head.
- Rest in a dark and quiet room.
- Get enough sleep
- Convert gold currency.
- Change pillow.
- If there is an eye problem and someone wears glasses, then wear glasses regularly.
- Set focus.
- Do not sit in front of TV, phone, laptop or computer for long.
After reading this article, many people must have come to know that what to do if there is a headache. Now feel the difference by adopting the above mentioned home remedies for headache before taking headache medicine. If you want that headache does not happen again and again, then prevention measures and yogasanas can be adopted. If you are still having the problem of headache again and again, then without delay, get the treatment of headache done. On the other hand, if the headache is chronic, then definitely visit a doctor to get chronic headache treated. Hope this article has been helpful for you. Eat healthy and stay healthy.
Frequently Asked Questions :
Ice packs can be used to get relief from headaches during pregnancy. Along with this, keep eating something every little while, you can get a light massage with oil, take enough rest and sleep well. If the headache persists, consult a doctor.
Yes, a sudden change in weather can be a trigger for a migraine headache.
Waking up with a headache can be a symptom of sleep apnea, which is a lack of oxygen in the body while sleeping. Apart from this, waking up with a headache can also be caused by stress or anxiety. If this is happening again and again, then definitely take medical advice once.
Stress is considered a common cause of pain in the back of the head.
Over-the-counter pain relievers such as acetaminophen, aspirin, and ibuprofen can be used to get quick relief from a headache. Keep in mind that if someone consumes this medicine for more than 3 days in a week, then he should contact the doctor without delay.
Cluster headache is a type of headache that is very severe and can be bothersome on a daily basis. In this situation, the doctor should be contacted without delay. Headache can also occur due to stress.