How can stretching benefits you?
These surprising benefits of stretching will surprise you
How Does Stretching Exercise Work?
Stretching exercises are very beneficial for us. We should always include stretching exercises in our exercise routine. Stretching exercises keep the flexibility in our body and the movement in the joints of the body also remains the same. If there is equal flexibility on both sides of our body, then the chances of injury are greatly reduced. Always warm up for 5 to 10 minutes before doing stretching exercises, and it should always be done after a workout.
Do this exercise 2 or 3 days a week. Do this exercise carefully and very slowly. If you have any health issues or have suffered an injury, consult a doctor about which stretch would be best for you.
You will know why you should stretch after we tell you the incredible benefits of stretching…
The benefits of doing stretching exercises are as follows –
- These can be done anywhere and at any time. If done properly, there is no risk in doing them.
- By doing stretching exercises, our body’s ability to bend the joints improves.
- Stretching increases the agility of our bodies.
- Doing these greatly reduces the chances of getting injured.
- Stretching enables the muscles to work effectively.
- Stretching increases the length of the muscles and improves the posture of the body.
- Stretching exercises increase the flexibility in our body as well as increase agility in the body. When our body’s flexibility is good, the physical performance is better and the chances of getting injured are also very less.
- Stretching exercises loosen the muscles, thereby reducing their fatigue and increasing the level of bleeding.
- Sometimes when we are engaged in work all day, then due to lethargy or fatigue, naps start during work. If you feel like this, then get out of your place and do 2 to 3 stretching exercises. This will increase your energy level.
- Stretching increases blood flow to the muscles and helps in keeping the whole body healthy.
- Stretching is also helpful in reducing the pain in the body after a workout and also in reducing the recovery time.
- Stretching gives the muscles time to rest before and after a workout. There is an increase in blood flow and nutrient supply to the muscles, as well as relief from pain after exercise.
- A healthy diet and stretching exercises help reduce cholesterol in the body. For this reason, it protects you from heart disease.
Tips For Stretching
Stretching has many benefits, but it is very important that it be done safely. Here are some tips that you should keep in mind while stretching –
- Do not think of stretching as a warm-up and if you stretch without a warm-up, then your muscles can be damaged. Walk slowly for 5 to 10 minutes before stretching. Stretching is most beneficial after a workout.
- Every person has different genetic traits and the flexibility of his body. If we talk about dancers and gymnasts, then those people are naturally flexible. So a common person should not try to be flexible like them and pay attention to this that the flexibility should be equal on both the left and right sides of the body. Failure to do so increases the chances of injury to the body.
- While doing stretching exercises, we should focus on the calf, thigh, hip, lower back, neck, and shoulder as these are the largest muscles of the body. Apart from these, the muscles that you use the most, must be stretched.
- Stretch very slowly in a very smooth manner. Do not jerk your body. If you make any jerky movement while stretching, then the muscles can get hurt and stiffness can also come.
- Breathe normally and hold each stretch for 30 seconds. If there is a problem in any part of the body, then the muscles there may have to be stretched for 60 seconds.
- While stretching, your aim should be to feel a slight stretch in the muscles and not pain. If you feel pain while stretching, come out of the stretch immediately and go back to the position where you did not feel the pain.
- If you play a sport or your routine requires you to use certain muscles, be sure to stretch those muscles in your stretching routine. For example, playing football puts the most stress on the hamstrings. So if you play football, it is very important for you to stretch your hamstrings.
- Stretching exercises can take time. But stretching 2 to 3 days a week is very beneficial for us. If you stop stretching, the benefits will be lost. For example, if stretching has increased flexibility in your joints, not doing stretching exercises can reduce flexibility again.
- In yoga, you get all the benefits of stretching. The special thing about yoga is that in this you do not remain stationary, but there is a slight movement. If you do not want to do yoga and want to do any other type of stretching routine, then make sure that there is a slight movement of your body in it.
- How to do shin stretch
The calf muscles are located on the back of the foot below our knees. Do stretching exercises to stretch them out.
Stand about an arm’s length away from a wall or exercise device. Step your right foot behind your left foot. Bend the left leg in front and keep the knee of the right leg straight while keeping the heel on the surface. Keep your back straight and your hips facing forward. Do not move the paws back and forth and hold this position for 30 seconds. Now repeat this process with the other leg.
- How to do Hamstring Stretch
The hamstring (nerve behind the knee) muscles are in the back part of our leg above the knee. Lie on the outside corner of a wall or door. As shown in Fig. Lift your left leg and release the heel against the wall and bend the knee of the left leg slightly. Remain in this position until you feel the tension in the back of the thigh of your left leg. Hold this position for 30 seconds. Now repeat this process with the other leg.
- Do the quadriceps stretch with the support of the wall
The quadriceps muscles are in the front of the thigh. Stand close enough to a wall or sweeping device that it can be supported. Grasp the ankle of your left foot tightly and pull the heel of that foot back until tension is felt in the front of the thigh. Hold this position for 30 seconds. Now repeat this process with the other leg. By doing this stretching exercise, the abdominal muscles are tight and the knees of both legs come close.
- How to stretch hip flexor
The “hip flexor” muscles help lift the buttocks and twist the waist. These are located in the upper part of our thigh and under the hip bones. Keep your right knee on the ground, you can use a towel just below the knee as a pillow, as shown in the picture. Now place your left leg in front of you and bend the knee. Keep the left hand on the left foot, this will keep the balance of the body, Keep the right hand on the right hip, so that the waist does not shave, Keep your back and back straight and keep the abdominal muscles tight. Hold this position for 30 seconds. Now repeat this process with the other leg.
- How to stretch the IT band
An iliotibial band is a group of tissues that are found on the outer part of the hip and around the thigh and knees. Stand near a wall or exercise equipment so that it can be supported. Cross your left leg over your right leg as shown in the picture. Now try to touch the right side by bringing your left hand over the head. By doing this you will feel the stretch on your left hip. Hold this position for 30 seconds. Now repeat this process with the other leg.
- Knee to chest stretch for hips
The knee to chest stretch is primarily aimed at the muscles at the back of the lower body. If there is any problem related to bones, then do not do it, otherwise, it may increase your problem. Lie on a solid surface in such a way that your heel and the surface are opposite to each other. Now bring your knee to the chest, till you feel pain in the lower part of the body. Bring your knee as close to the chest as possible. And release the other leg comfortably. Hold this position for 30 seconds. Now repeat this process with the other leg.
- One way to stretch the shoulder
If the back of your shoulder is tight, you may have rotator cuff problems. Especially when you are a player of tennis or baseball, your chances increase even more. Take your left hand crossing the body to the right side and press it with the elbow of the right hand. As shown in the picture. Hold this position for 30 seconds. Now do this process from the other side.
- How to stretch the neck
Move your head towards the front and tilt it to the right with the help of the right hand. As shown in the picture. Now pull the head down. This will make you feel comfortable in the neck. Hold this position for 30 seconds. Now do this process from the other side.