Sometimes back pain, sometimes leg pain and sometimes pain in other parts of the body. These pains have become a part of some people’s life. Not a day passes without pain in some part of the body. Hand pain is also included in this list. Although people find it normal to have pain in their hands, but through Myhealthonly, we are advising you to take the pain in your hand that appears normal. Arm pain may seem normal, but sometimes it can lead to a serious health problem. This is the reason that through this article, we are trying to give information about not only the cause of hand pain, but also the home remedies for hand pain and its other remedies. Therefore, stay connected with this article for all the information related to hand pain.
Read article in detail
First of all, know what is pain in the hand.
What is Hand Pain?
Table of Contents
Many times people complain of pain in the whole hand or in a particular part of the hand due to some reason. There may be severe pain in the whole hand, in the fingers or in the wrist. This pain can be mild or intense as well as occur suddenly. Hand pain can be due to many reasons, about which further information is given in the article.
First of all, it is important to know what can be the cause of hand pain.
Risk Factors & Causes of Hand Pain
Before knowing the home remedies for hand pain or the treatment of hand pain, it is important to know what can be the cause or risk factors of hand pain. In this part of the article, we are trying to give information about the same:
- Osteoarthritis (a type of arthritis) can be the cause of hand pain.
- Pain can also be caused by carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Gout (problem caused by increased uric acid in the blood).
- Pain caused by inflammation or injury of tendons (tendons, the tissue that connects bones to muscles).
- A broken bone can also cause pain.
- Any kind of injury to the wrist can also be the cause of pain in the hand or fingers.
- Continuous typing can also cause hand pain.
- Heart attack can also be a reason for arm pain.
Now let’s talk about the symptoms of pain in the hand.
Symptoms of Hand Pain
If seen, pain in the hand is a symptom in itself. In such a situation, some of the other problems with it are as follows:
- Along with the pain in the arm, tingling may be felt in the arm. The hand may become numb, which may be due to carpal tunnel syndrome.
- If hand pain is due to injury or fracture, there may also be pain in the affected area and fingers of the hand.
- There may also be swelling in the joints or pain in the muscles.
- If there is pain in the nerves of the hand, then there can be pain in the whole hand.
Now let’s know how to treat hand pain with home remedies.
Home Remedies for Hand Pain
Some of the home remedies for hand pain are as follows:
- Ice pack
- An ice pack or a clean cloth
- Some ice cubes
Method of use :
- Take some ice cubes and put them in an ice pack.
- Ice cubes can also be wrapped in a cloth.
- Then place it on the affected area.
- If there is no ice, you can also use a bottle of cold water.
How can it be beneficial?
If the pain in the hand is due to injury or inflammation, then ice packs can be a good option for pain relief. In fact, using an ice pack can numb the area affected by the pain. This can stop feeling pain for a while as well as reduce swelling.
- Essential Oil
Take any essential oil of your choice and massage it on the painful area with light hands. Doing this can provide relief from pain for a while. According to a study published on the NCBI website, essential oils have anti-inflammatory and analgesic (pain-relieving) properties, which can provide relief from pain caused by arthritis. In this case, essential oil can be useful for short-term relief from pain.
- Rock salt
- A bucket of lukewarm water
- 3 to 4 teaspoons rock salt
Method of use :
- Add rock salt in lukewarm water.
- Then take bath with that water.
How can it be beneficial?
Talking about the benefits of rock salt, it can be helpful in relieving pain. Actually, in a research related to rock salt, it has been revealed that rock salt can provide relief from muscle and joint pain and cramps. Along with this, it can also be effective for inflammation. In this case, taking a bath with rock salt water can be useful for relieving mild pain.
- Capsicum or Capsicum Powder
- One capsicum or one or two teaspoons of capsicum powder
- Water as required
Method of use :
- Prepare a paste by mixing capsicum or capsicum powder in water.
- Now apply this paste on the affected area.
How can it be beneficial?
Capsicum is also known as red pepper or chili pepper. It is used not only in food, but also in many types of medicines. It is especially used for the relief of pain during arthritis. Actually, capsaicin, the main component present in capsicum, can be helpful in relieving pain. If you can’t use capsicum, you can also use pain-relieving creams, ointments or sprays containing capsaicin available in the market.
Massage the area affected by pain with light hands with normal oil or any essential oil. Massage can provide relief from muscle pain or spasms. It can not only relax the muscles, but also strengthen them. Not only this, research has also revealed that massage therapy can be helpful in relieving pain. Keep in mind that massage should be done slowly and it is better to do it under the supervision of an expert.
Stay with us
Know further about the treatment of hand pain.
Treatment of Hand Pain
If we talk about the medical treatment of hand pain, then below we are telling about it:
Medicine – If the pain is mild, then the doctor can give medicine for hand pain. This can give relief to some extent from the problem of wrist or hand pain. At the same time, even for acute pain, doctors can first give more powerful pain relievers that act more quickly. Pain-relieving ointment can also be given by the doctor as a medicine for hand pain.
Therapy – In some cases doctors may prescribe treatment in the form of therapy. If the pain is due to a nerve problem, light exercise or acupuncture therapy may also be recommended. Sometimes doctors may also recommend hand pain medication as well as therapy. In some severe cases, arm pain can also be treated with physiotherapy. Light exercise can be a part of this therapy. This therapy can also be done after surgery.
Splint – It is a type of device, which is used to support any part of the body. It can be used if there is a fracture, sprain or strain in the wrist. Splints can be helpful in speedy healing of bone injuries.
Taking compresses – Sometimes along with medicines and therapy, doctors may also recommend taking cold or hot compresses according to the pain. This is only part of a home remedy, which can provide a lot of relief.
Surgery – In some cases, surgery may also be an option if hand pain medication or therapy is not helping. Surgery is decided only in severe cases. Surgery may be recommended if the hand is fractured, if the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome are severe, or if there is a complication involving the nerves.
Stay with us
After treating hand pain, now we know when to seek medical advice for hand pain.
When should the doctor’s advice be taken?
Medical advice may be necessary for hand pain in the following situations:
- If you are not getting relief from pain even after trying home remedies for hand pain.
- If the pain in the arm bone is persistent and intense after an injury.
- There is constant pain in the fingers of the hand and discomfort is also felt in bending the fingers.
- There is swelling along with pain in the hand.
- If there is continuous pain in the neck and shoulder along with pain in the hand.
- Applying ointment as a medicine for hand pain is not getting any effect.
Now know how to prevent pain in the hand.
Hand Pain Prevention Tips
Hand pain can be prevented to some extent by adopting the methods mentioned below:
- Calcium is beneficial for bones and muscles. This reduces the risk of bone fracture or pain. Must take calcium rich diet. Along with this, adopt other nutritious diet.
- Do stretching exercises of the hands, exercise by rotating the fist and wrist.
- Do not do continuous typing or other work. Give rest to the hands in between.
- If you feel stiffness in your hands, take a hot compress. On the other hand, if there is swelling, then cold compress can be done.
- Do not lift anything heavy suddenly.
These were some of the common causes of arm pain. Although in most cases hand pain gets cured on its own, but still if anyone wants to know about the remedies for hand pain, then the home remedies for hand pain given here will prove useful. On the other hand, if someone is not making any difference even with home remedies and the pain in the hand is happening continuously, then do not ignore the pain in the hand. In this condition, seek medical advice for treatment of hand pain. Share this article with others and let them know as much as possible about it.
Frequently Asked Questions :
Yes, continuous typing can cause hand pain.
If something like this is happening for a long time, then it can be one of the symptoms of some other disease. In such a situation, it is better that you take medical advice about this.
It depends on what is causing the pain in the hand. If there is general hand pain, it can be cured in a few hours. On the other hand, if this is happening due to some serious health problem, then the pain may take time to heal.
If you are typing continuously, then you can stop typing for a while and give rest to your hands. Apart from this, the hands can also be relaxed by doing light stretching.
Research has revealed that arm or shoulder pain is one of the symptoms of a heart attack. However, it is not confirmed whether it is right or left handed. In such a situation, if the person is constantly having pain in the hand, then it is better to consult a doctor about this.
Yes, yoga or exercise can be beneficial to get relief from hand pain. Now-a-days many doctors are suggesting yoga and exercise as a treatment according to the severity of the pain.