The physical and mental benefits of yoga are no less than a miracle. People who practice yoga daily are well aware of its benefits. By the way, for those who do not know much about yoga, let us tell you that special yoga activities are done to keep different parts of the body healthy, in which the name of Garudasan is also included. One thing must be noted here that yoga can be a helpful treatment for any disease, it should not be considered as the only treatment. If a person is suffering from any disease, then he should not ignore the medical treatment.
Come, in this article of Myhealthonly, let us know the method of doing Garudasana and the benefits of Garudasana to the body. Along with this, information will also be given about the precautions to be taken while doing this asana.
In this article, first of all, let us know what is Garudasan.
What Is Garudasana?
Table of Contents
Garudasana is a type of Yogasana. This asana is named after Garuda, the king of birds mentioned in mythology. Garudasana is derived from the Sanskrit word Garuda. It is also known as Eagle pose. This yogasana mainly affects the shoulders, wrists, arms and legs. Also it can work to strengthen your ankles and hips. Those who want to do this asana, they need more to maintain the balance of the body.
Know the benefits of Garudasana in this part of the article.
Impressive Health Benefits of Garudasana
There can be many benefits by doing Garudasana. After knowing this, you too will definitely think about doing this asana. On the other hand, if we talk about the scientific importance of Garudasan, then not much research has been done on it, but despite this the importance of Garudasan cannot be denied. Some of the benefits of this asana can be as follows.
- Improve Balance
While doing Garudasana, you have to balance the body on only one leg. This can help in balancing the body. In the beginning of this yoga, you may have difficulty in balancing. Therefore, in the beginning, do this asana only under the supervision of a yoga expert.
- To stretch the thighs and hips
When doing Garudasana, most of its effect is on the thigh and hips. You may feel a stretch in this part. Therefore, other benefits of Garudasana can include stretching of the thighs and hips. At present, there is no scientific evidence available on this.
- To make the back flexible
The benefits of doing Garudasana also include making the back flexible. Actually, it is a stretching-strengthening exercise, by doing which stretch is created in many parts of the body. Therefore, it can be assumed that this asana can help in making the back flexible.
- Aids in muscle strength
If the muscles are becoming weak, then the person may have a muscle related problem. In such a situation, Garudasan can be trusted. As we mentioned above that it is a stretching exercise, which works by creating stretch in the body. The benefits of this asana can be seen especially in strengthening the feet, knees and ankles. Along with this, this asana can also work to strengthen the leg muscles by removing cramps.
- To reduce stress
Almost everyone is familiar with yoga and its mental benefits. You can experience mental peace by doing yoga. Garudasana is also counted among those special asanas, which can help in relieving stress. Therefore, the benefits of Garudasana can work to get relief from stress.
Next, we are telling what is necessary to do before Garudasana.
Do this asana before doing Garudasana
It is advised to do some other asanas before doing Garudasana, so that you can get more benefits of this Yogasana. Come, let us know the names of those asanas below.
- Downward-Facing Dog Pose
- Prasarita Padottanasana (Wide-Legged Forward Bend)
- Upavistha Konasana (Wide-Angle Seated Forward Bend)
- Vrikshasana (Tree Pose)
- Gomukhasana (Cow Face Pose)
Now in this part of the article, know the step by step method of doing Garudasana.
Steps to do Garudasana
- Prepare yourself mentally and physically before doing Garudasana.
- Now choose a flat ground and spread the yoga mat.
- Then stand straight on the yoga mat in Tadasana. During this, continue the process of breathing normally.
- In the next step, you have to bend the knees slightly and move both the hands towards the front.
- Now bring the balance of the whole body on the right leg and lift the left leg up.
- After this, move the left leg backward by rotating it in front of the right leg.
- During this, the left thigh will remain above the right thigh.
- Now in the next step, you have to cross both the arms by bending them at the elbow. During this, the left arm has to be kept above the right arm.
- Then you have to try to bring both the palms in Namaskar Mudra.
- Now keep yourself in this posture for as long as possible.
- Then slowly come back to your initial state.
- Now you have to do the same process from the other side as well.
- Three to five rounds of this asana can be done.
Some precautions should also be taken while practicing Garudasana, which are being told in the next part of the article.
Precautions for Garudasana
Before doing each Yogasan, it is very important to know in which position they should not be done. If you are not fully prepared to do that asana, then there may be a risk for you. Therefore, some precautions for Garudasana are as follows:
- If your ankles, knees or elbows are hurt or there is pain in your feet, then do not do this asana.
- Patients suffering from arthritis should stay away from this asana. Yes, such patients can do this asana under the supervision of a yoga expert on the advice of a doctor.
- Pregnant women should not do this asana. They may be afraid of falling while doing this asana.
After reading this article, it must have become clear that what is Garudasana and how it can work for physical benefits. Also, to make this exercise effective, try to do the asanas mentioned. Apart from this, you have also been told step by step the right way to do Garudasana. If you are going to do this asana for the first time, then do it under the supervision of a yoga expert. Also, patients suffering from serious diseases should not do this asana without medical advice. Hope this asana will work to benefit you. If you have any other question related to Garudasana, feel free to ask us in the comment box below.