It is considered good to include yoga in the routine to live a disease free life. Perhaps this is the reason why people all over the world have started adopting yoga. Not one or two, but many types of yoga can be done to stay healthy. Vajrasana is also one of these yoga. Vajrasana is considered very beneficial for the body. You can learn about the right way to do this yoga and its physical benefits in this article of Myhealthonly. Here, along with the benefits and precautions of doing Vajrasana, some important tips are also given.
Before moving ahead in the article, let us know what is Vajrasana.
What Is Vajrasana?
Vajrasana is an asana done by sitting on the legs after bending the knees. It is derived from the Sanskrit word ‘vajra’, which means lightning falling from the sky. It is also known as Diamond pose. Pranayama, Kapalbhati and Anulom-Vilom can be done by sitting in this Yogasana. There is no doubt that Vajrasana is the best yoga to keep the body healthy. Read this article further to know the benefits of Vajrasana.
There is more information
Let us now know about some important things related to Vajrasana.
Vajrasana: Some Things To Know
There are many such things related to Vajrasana, about which those who do this yoga should know. We are telling about these things below.
It can be done even after eating food, rather doing Vajrasana after eating food is considered good for the digestive system.
This is the beginner and easy level of yoga.
The duration of Vajrasana can be 5 to 10 minutes.
There is no need to repeat it.
Ankles, thighs, knees, hips are stretched during Vajrasana.
It is said that Vajrasana can strengthen the leg and back muscles.
Stay in the article
Before the method of doing Vajrasana, let us have a look at the benefits of Vajrasana.
Effective Health Benefits Of Vajrasana
Like other yoga, doing Vajrasana can have many benefits. We are telling about these benefits of Vajrasana Yoga through some points below.
- For diabetes
The benefits of Vajrasana may include controlling diabetes. A study published on the website of NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information) states that fasting glucose can be reduced by doing Vajrasana. It is said that this yoga asana interacts with the entire endocrine mechanism to improve glucose as well as insulin, which helps in controlling diabetes. Along with yoga, keep following the right diet for diabetes and the guidelines given by the doctor.
- Muscle strength
Vajrasana can improve the stability of the knee joint, thigh, leg, back and skeletal muscles. Regular practice of this asana is said to strengthen the iliopsoas (buttock muscles), erector spinae (muscles on both sides of the spine), quadratus lumborum (abdominal muscles), adductor (hip joint muscles) and calf. Muscles can get stronger.
- Improves heart and brain
Regular practice of Vajrasana can boost the functioning of the heart and brain. This can reduce the problems related to heart and brain. It is said to help improve the function of the brain and heart by increasing the arterial supply of oxygen-rich blood.
- Pain relief
If someone has pain in the muscles of the hands or feet (extremities), then they can get relief by doing Vajrasana. According to a study, doing this asana can provide relief from pain in hands and feet. Also, it can provide relief from lower back problems and muscle pain. Research states that Vajrasana can also help reduce sciatica pain and knee pain related to arthritis.
- For digestion
Performing Vajrasana can help in getting relief from digestive problems. Actually, this yoga asana can increase the vascularity ie blood flow of the digestive organs. It can provide relief from the problems of abdominal heaviness, acidity, constipation, intestinal gas, piles.
- Improve blood circulation
Blood circulation is also included in the benefits of Vajrasana. Actually, this Yogasana can circulate blood in the abdominal area and below that i.e. pelvic area. This strengthens the organs related to both the abdomen and pelvis. Not only this, when one sits for this Yogasana by bending the knees, then the blood reaches well from the feet to the heart.
Keep reading article
Now after giving information about the benefits of Vajrasana, we are telling the method of doing Vajrasana.
How To Do The Vajrasana
After knowing about the benefits of doing Vajrasana, if you are thinking of including it in your routine, then it is important to know the method of doing Vajrasana. This method is something like this:
- To do Vajrasana, first of all sit on the ground on your knees.
- During this, join the thumbs of both the feet together and keep the ankles apart.
- Now rest your buttocks on the ankles.
- Then put the palms on the knees.
- During this, keep your back and head straight.
- Keep both the knees together.
- Now close your eyes and keep breathing normally.
- Try to sit in this position for five to 10 minutes.
- If there is a lot of pain on the knees, do not force the body. Get up after a minute or two and gradually increase its time daily.
Although this posture is completely safe, but it is very important to take care of the things mentioned below.
- Unless there is proper flexibility in the ankle and knee, Vajrasana should not be practiced for a long time.
- Do not do this asana when the knee or ankle bone slips.
- A person suffering from the problem of hypotension i.e. low blood pressure should not do Vajrasana.
- Avoid doing this asana if one has any knee problems or has recently undergone knee surgery.
- Pregnant women should avoid doing this asana.
- If there is any kind of problem in the spine, then avoid doing this asana. Especially those who have any problem in the joint of the spine should not do it at all.
- If you are suffering from hernia, intestinal ulcer and any kind of problem in small and large intestine, then do this asana under the supervision of the instructor.
In the next part of the article, some important tips have been given for those who include Vajrasana in their routine for the first time.
Tips for Vajrasana Beginners
Those who do Vajrasana for the first time need to take care of some things. This can truly benefit Vajrasana and avoid the disadvantages of Vajrasana.
- At the beginning of this asana, pain may be felt in the feet. If this happens, get up from Vajrasana and bring the feet forward. Then massage the ankles, knees and calves. By practicing this regularly, you will be able to do this asana for 20 minutes in some time.
- If there is any kind of problem, then do not do this asana without an instructor.
- In the beginning, Vajrasana should be done for 5 to 10 minutes only.
- While doing this asana, keep the mind completely calm.
- Focus your attention on any one point.
There is no doubt that the body and mind can be made healthy by yoga. Especially when it comes to Vajrasana Yoga, it is not only easy to do, but it can be done at any time. Along with this, many benefits are also available by doing this. If you are also thinking of doing this yoga after reading the article, then definitely pay attention to the precautions and tips mentioned here. This will help in understanding when Vajrasana should not be done and in which situations it is necessary to pay little attention.
Frequently Asked Questions :
If there is a question in the mind that for how long Vajrasana should be done, then know that beginners can do it intermittently for 5 to 10 minutes. Such people who have been practicing it for many months, they can do it for 20 to 30 minutes. Apart from this, accomplished practitioners of this asana can also do Supta Vajrasana.
The advanced pose of Vajrasana is called Supta Vajrasana. During this, after sitting in the posture of Vajrasana, the hands and elbows are kept on the ground by bending backwards.
It is advised not to do this asana to the patient of Osteoarthritis (bone related disease) and pregnant women.
Yes, belly fat can be reduced by doing Vajrasana.
Vajrasana yoga and walking both are better at their respective places. Both these activities have a greater effect on the leg muscles. In such a situation, it cannot be said clearly that what is better in Vajrasana and walking.