There is a pain in one or the other part of the body due to some reason. One such pain also arises in the tailbone. Often people do not know what tailbone pain is, but due to this, their quality of life starts decreasing. They always feel pain, but due to lack of information, they wait for this pain to heal on its own. For this reason, we have brought all the information related to Tailbone in detail. Here you can know home remedies to get relief from it and ways to avoid this pain.
First of all, let us know what is tailbone pain.
What is Tailbone Pain?
The tailbone is also called the coccyx. It is a kind of bone, which consists of three to five separate vertebral bodies. This bone is located in the last (terminal) segment of the spine. When there is a pain in the last part of this spinal cord, then it is called pain in the tailbone. Pain in this coccyx is also called coccydynia.
Know more what are the causes of pain in the tailbone.
Causes of Tailbone Pain –
The causes of pain in the tailbone can be many. We are telling about these reasons further, which are some types.
- Musculoskeletal injuries such as fractures and ligaments
- Bone infection (osteomyelitis)
- Ligamentous Instability
- Bone cancer (chordoma)
- Any injury to the tailbone
- Repeatedly hitting the site of injury
- Lower gastrointestinal or urogenital disorders
- Lumbar disc prolapse is the slipping of a rubbery disc present in the bone.
- Pelvic floor spasm
There is further information
Come, now know how the symptoms of pain in the tailbone can be seen.
Tailbone Pain Symptoms –
- The symptom of pain in the tailbone is pain. In which situations there can be tailbone pain, we are telling next.
- Feeling of discomfort when moving
- Back pain
- Pain in the tailbone during intercourse and defecation
- Hypersensitive tailbone
Some home remedies to reduce tailbone pain are as follows.
Home remedies to reduce pain in the tailbone –
People suffering from tailbone pain can reduce this pain with the help of home remedies. These pains are like this.
- Hot or cold compress
- Hot water bottle or ice pack
- Place a hot water bottle or ice pack on the affected area for about 20 minutes.
- This process can be repeated two to four times a day.
Provides benefits like this:
It may be better to apply hot and cold compresses to get relief from tailbone pain. The NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology) also suggests that hot or cold compresses can be applied to the affected area. Other research also suggests that cold or hot packs provide some relief from tailbone pain. If there is any kind of swelling along with the pain in the area affected by the ice pack, then it can also reduce.
- Any massage oil
- Take out any massage oil in the palm.
- Now apply it to the affected area with the help of your fingers.
- After that lightly press the place with your hand and massage in a circular motion.
- In this way, massage can be done daily for about 10-15 minutes.
Provides benefits like this:
Massaging can also reduce tailbone pain. A related research paper has written that massage can reduce spasms related to the muscles of the tailbone and pain in the ligament (the band connecting two bones). Another research has also said that even severe tailbone pain is tried to be controlled with the help of massage. In such a situation, it can be said that massage will be better to reduce the symptoms of pain in the tailbone.
- Epsom Salt Bath
- 2 cups Epsom salt
- Hot water
- For bathing, pour hot water into a bucket or bathtub and then add Epsom salts.
- Now mix the salt well in the water.
- When the salt melts, lie down in the bathtub for 10 to 15 minutes.
- If salt is put in the bucket, then take a bath with that water.
Provides benefits like this:
Taking a bath with Epsom salt in lukewarm water can provide relief from tailbone pain. Research suggests that taking a short bath in Epsom salts can reduce muscle spasms and pain. Another research says that hot water can reduce pain in all kinds of musculoskeletal conditions. Tailbone pain can also be caused by a musculoskeletal injury. On this basis, Epsom salt is considered good for tailbone pain.
Vitamins can prove to be helpful in preventing pain in the tailbone. Actually, vitamin D and calcium are necessary to keep bones healthy and strong. These vitamins help to protect all the bones of the body from weakening and other problems. On this basis, it can be said that consuming a diet rich in vitamin D and calcium can help in avoiding tailbone pain.
Read further which foods should be included in the diet and which should be avoided in case of tailbone pain.
What to eat and what not to eat in tailbone pain
Tailbone pain means pain in the spine. In such a situation, bone-strengthening nutrients such as calcium can be consumed. On this basis, we are telling what to eat and what not to eat in tailbone pain.
What should we eat
- Eat grains, fruits, and vegetables each day
- Consume non-fat or low-fat dairy products
- Include other calcium-rich foods in the diet
- Eat meat or beans
- Include a variety of foods in a balanced diet
- Eat nuts. They are rich in calcium, magnesium, protein, and potassium
- Keep taking vitamin D rich food and sunlight too
Avoid foods that do not absorb nutrients into the bone and are deficient in nutrients, which are as follows.
- Do not eat high-fat food
- Do not drink alcohol
- Don’t smoke
- Wheat bran inhibiting calcium absorption
- Spinach that does not absorb calcium
- Avoid a diet high in sodium
- Foods containing cholesterol should also be avoided
Further in the article, we are telling ways to prevent pain in the tailbone.
Prevention Tips for Tailbone Pain –
Some precautions can be taken to prevent tailbone pain. Some of the prevention tips are as follows.
- Avoid cycling
- Do not lean back while sitting
- Avoid sitting in the same position for a long time
- Don’t stand for long
- Do not sit on a hard surface
- keep using a cushion or gel donut while sitting
- Change sitting position
- This pain increases with physical relationship, so avoid it
Due to the office work sitting all day long, it has become common to have pain in the tailbone these days. To avoid this, you can take the help of prevention and home remedies mentioned in the article. If this problem is increasing day by day instead of decreasing, then without wasting time, definitely contact the doctor. By taking timely steps in the right direction, this problem can be prevented from becoming serious.