Nowadays keeping the body free from diseases has become a challenge. To keep the body healthy, it is advised to include many asanas of yoga in the routine, one of which is called Sudarshan Kriya. It is very easy to do, but still, people are not able to do it properly. This is the reason that today in this article of Myhealthonly, we will discuss in detail what is Sudarshan Kriya and what is the right way to do Sudarshan Kriya. Along with this, the benefits of performing Sudarshan Kriya have also been explained here.
Let us first know what is Sudarshan Kriya.
What Is Sudarshan Kriya?
Table of Contents
Sudarshan Kriya is a rhythmic and powerful breathing technique. Its name is made up of two Sanskrit words, Su means right and Darshan means to see. It can be helpful in relieving mental conditions like stress, fatigue, negative thoughts, and depression. This yogasana is specially done for stress management. There are many benefits to doing Sudarshan Kriya, which will be discussed in detail further in the article.
After knowing what is Sudarshan Kriya, now we will talk about the benefits of doing Sudarshan Kriya.
Benefits And Steps Of Sudarshan Kriya –
The benefits of doing Sudarshan Kriya can be seen in many health problems, which we are going to explain in detail below.
- Freedom from stress
Sudarshan Kriya i.e. this breathing technique is a unique way of balancing the nervous system, which can reduce mental and stress-related problems. A study available on the website of the NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information) suggests that regular practice of it induces an antidepressant response, which can reduce levels of stress hormones such as cortisol and adrenocorticotropic.
In addition, the practice of Sudarshan Kriya can reduce stress levels even in people addicted to alcohol. On this basis, it can be assumed that the benefits of doing Sudarshan Kriya include relieving stress.
- Improve sleep
Practicing Sudarshan Kriya can be beneficial for improving sleep. Actually, stress is also one of the reasons for insomnia, while it has already been told in the article that Sudarshan Kriya is helpful in stress management. This is the reason why the regular practice of Sudarshan Kriya Yoga can relieve stress as well as improve the quality of sleep.
- Aids in Cholesterol Control
The benefits of doing Sudarshan Kriya can also be achieved to control cholesterol. In a study available on NCBI, people who practiced Sudarshan Kriya regularly for four months saw a decrease in not only blood sugar levels but also total cholesterol and triglycerides levels. In such a situation, it can be believed that the practice of Sudarshan Kriya daily can be helpful in keeping cholesterol balanced.
- Energy Helper
Practicing Sudarshan Kriya regularly can increase energy in the body. In fact, according to research, the continuous practice of Sudarshan Kriya restores energy in the body, due to which a person can feel energetic. Not only this, but Sudarshan Kriya can also be helpful in promoting meditation and alertness.
More information ahead
Let us know what is the method of performing Sudarshan Kriya.
How to do Sudarshan Kriya
Sudarshan Kriya Yoga includes a wide range of poses ranging from neck rotation to shoulder rotation, Peacock Asana, Swing, Half Moon Stretch, Breath of Joy, Cat Pose, Butterfly Pose, Cradle Pose, Locust Pose, and Mountain Pose. To do this, four different steps have to be completed, which we are going to explain in detail below. So let’s know what are the Sudarshan Kriya Steps:
- Ujjayi Pranayama (Victorious Breath): First of all sit in meditation posture. This is a slow breath technique. While doing this, while inhaling and exhaling, focus on the breath. In this way, at least two to four breaths should be taken in a minute. By doing this action, one gets physical and mental peace along with alertness.
- Bellows Breath: Now we will do Bhastrika Pranayama. This is the Deep Breathing Technique. While doing this, the breath is taken in rapidly and in 1 minute about 30 breaths and exhalations have to be done.
- Om Chanting: After Bhastrika Pranayama, chant Om thrice while meditating with eyes closed. Rest for 15 seconds after each mantra. It gives peace of mind along with getting positive energy.
- Sudarshan Kriya: This is followed by Sudarshan Kriya, which is considered a technique to gain control over the breath. This is a unique form of cyclic breathing. In this, different movements of the breath are done in a rhythm. This is the reason why a special trainer is needed to learn Sudarshan Kriya.
Scroll to read
After knowing how to do Sudarshan Kriya, it is time to take precautions.
Some Precautions for Sudarshan Kriya
Here we are going to tell some precautions, which need to be kept in mind while performing Sudarshan Kriya.
- Sudarshan Kriya is a breathing technique. In such a situation, if you are suffering from any kind of respiratory disorder or problem, then do not do this exercise.
- Before doing Sudarshan Kriya, consult a certified yoga trainer and practice it under his supervision.
- A woman must consult a doctor before doing Sudarshan Kriya Yoga during pregnancy.
- During menstruation, women should do this activity only after consulting a doctor.
- Never do Sudarshan Kriya immediately after eating food.
- Yoga in the morning on an empty stomach can be more beneficial.
- Do yoga in the open air and in a clean place by laying on a yoga mat.
Through this article, it must have become clear what is Sudarshan Kriya and what can be the benefits of doing Sudarshan Kriya. It is really a very effective yoga, which can be done easily. If you want to get the benefits of it, then practice it under the supervision of an expert. Also, keep in mind that it is not a cure for any disease. It can not only keep you healthy but also provide protection against certain diseases.