You must have often seen many people getting stuck while talking and talking intermittently i.e. stammering. This problem can be seen in children as well as in adults. At the same time, many times people even make fun of the person suffering from the problem of stammering, which should not be done. This problem may seem common, but over time it can show serious consequences. That is why in this article of Myhealthonly, we have come up with complete information about the problem of stammering. Here you will find the causes, symptoms, and even home remedies for stammering. For complete details read the article till the end.
Let us first know about the problem of stammering.
What Is Stuttering?
Table of Contents
Stuttering is a speech disorder. In this, the person talks in a stuck-up and intermittent manner. In addition, the person repeats a word over and over again. At the same time, the voice is also pulled here and it also has repetition. At the same time, along with stammering, the person may also shake his head and there may also be tremors of the lips. A person suffering from the problem of stammering can also face despair because he has difficulty speaking what he wants to speak.
Let us know further in this article what are the causes of stuttering.
Causes Of Stuttering
The problem of stammering can arise due to the following reasons. Know the reason for stammering below:
- The problem of stammering can be hereditary, that is, if someone has this problem in the family, then the risk of getting it in the child can increase.
- Due to brain injury, such as stroke.
- In some cases, emotional trauma can also cause a person to stammer.
- Boys aged two to five years may have a higher risk.
- In adulthood, stuttering is more likely to persist in boys than in girls.
Now in this article, know what are the symptoms of stammering.
Symptoms of stuttering can be:
- Repeating words or sentences by the victim.
- Stuck and stop talking.
- The problem of the person can be clearly seen while speaking.
- The victim may feel hesitant to speak.
- Frustration due to difficulty in speaking.
- The inclusion of a different voice or words when speaking by the victim.
- There can be seriousness when speaking.
Some other symptoms may also be seen:
- Blinking of eyes with stuttering.
- Tremors in the head or other parts of the body.
- Jaw tremors.
- Fist clenching
Remedies for the problem of stuttering are mentioned below.
Home Remedies To Overcome The Problem Of Stammering
Home remedies for stammering can be done to reduce the problem of stammering, but keep in mind that they are not a cure for stammering. Their use can be beneficial to some extent. Now read on:
- Green Coriander
- Few coriander leaves
- Water as required
How to use:
- Put coriander leaves in water.
- Heat them for at least 20 minutes.
- Gargle with this water 2-3 times every day.
How is it profitable?
The benefits of coriander leaves can be seen in reducing the problem of stammering. Actually, the neuroprotective effect is found in coriander. At the same time, the problem of stammering can also be related to the nervous system, which is known as neurogenic shuttering. In this, due to a brain injury, the brain is unable to coordinate properly with the other parts of the brain associated with speech. However, how effective green coriander will be in this work, there is still a need for more precise research on this topic.
- Black Pepper
- Black pepper powder (a pinch)
- Butter half teaspoon
- A glass of milk or a cup of tea
How to use:
- Mix black pepper powder in butter.
- Eat this mixture twice daily.
- You can drink a glass of milk mixed with a pinch of black pepper every night before sleeping.
- Apart from this, black pepper can also be used in tea.
How is it profitable?
The use of black pepper can also be beneficial to some extent in the problem of stammer. Actually, piperine, the main component present in black pepper, is found to have the ability to improve brain functioning. At the same time, we have been told that the problem of stammering can also occur due to the disruption of the brain functioning associated with speaking. In such a situation, it can be believed that black pepper can be helpful in reducing the problem of stuttering to some extent by improving the functioning of the brain. For now, more research is needed to be done on this topic.
- One gooseberry
- A glass of water
How to use:
- Amla can be consumed directly.
- Or boil a glass of water by adding amla (small pieces).
- Then filter it and drink its water.
- This remedy can be done daily.
Consumption of amla can also be beneficial to some extent in the problem of stammering. Actually, research published on the website of NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information) mentions that it has neuroprotective effects. Also, its consumption can be beneficial for brain health. Amla can improve brain functioning and help the nervous system to function properly. Due to these properties, it can be considered beneficial in neurogenic shuttering (stuttering problems associated with the nervous system). For now, more research is still needed on this topic.
- Cow Ghee
- Cow’s Ghee tsp
- One spoon of amla juice
How to use:
- Eat cow’s ghee with one spoon of amla juice.
- This remedy can be done daily before meals.
How is it profitable?
Consumption of cow’s ghee can also be effective in overcoming the problem of stammering. In fact, the problem of stammering can also be related to the development of children. In such a situation, the consumption of ghee can be helpful in brain development. This is confirmed in research by NCBI. Research clearly mentions that omega-3 fatty acids are found in ghee, which can be helpful in brain development.
- Brahmi powder (dosage as per medical advice)
- A glass of milk
How to use:
- Mix Brahmi powder in milk.
- Drink this milk before sleeping at night.
- This remedy can be done daily in medical consultation.
How is it profitable?
The use of Brahmi powder can also be beneficial to some extent in the problem of stammering. Actually, research related to this clearly mentions that Brahmi has antioxidant properties, which can show neuroprotective effects. In such a situation, it can be said that the consumption of Brahmi can be effective in the problem of stammering related to the nervous system.
Note: Before using any home remedy for the problem of stammer, definitely consult a doctor, because there is a lack of accurate scientific research related to home remedies for this problem.
Know below then you should contact the doctor about the problem of stammering.
When should I seek medical advice for stammering?
It becomes necessary to consult a doctor in the following situations:
- If the problem of stammering is hindering the child’s schoolwork or emotional development.
- If the child feels uncomfortable speaking.
- If stammering symptoms persist for 3-6 months.
keep reading the article
How to get medical treatment for the problem of stammer, know below.
There is no one perfect cure for the problem of stammering. However, most initial cases are short-lived and may get better on their own. In addition, the following measures can be helpful in this problem:
- Speech therapy: Through this also, the problem of stammering can be relieved to some extent. Under this, the speech therapist helps in correcting the language and pronunciation problems of the victim.
- Important guidelines for parents:
- Don’t be overly concerned about the problem of stammering in front of the child. This will make the child feel more hesitant to speak.
- Do not take the child into an environment where he feels more uncomfortable.
- Love the child as much as possible.
- Do not interrupt her much while talking.
- Listen carefully to the words of the victim.
- If the child asks about this problem, explain it well to him.
The exercises to overcome the problem of stuttering are mentioned below.
Exercises to overcome the problem of stammering –
Stuttering can also be treated with the help of exercise. The following exercises may be helpful in reducing stuttering:
- Vowel Pronunciation: Ask the child to pronounce all the vowels (a, e, i, o, u) clearly and aloud. Its daily practice can be beneficial to some extent in the problem of stammering.
- Pause practice while speaking: In this, the child is taught where to stop in the middle of a sentence while speaking. Like stopping after the first word of the sentence and then stopping after two or three words of the sentence. This exercise can be done once daily.
- Jaw Exercise: In this, the jaw has to be stretched without much emphasis, and then after staying in this posture for some time, touch the palate (roof of the mouth) with the tip of the tongue. After this, the tongue has to be moved back to the mouth. After this, it remains in this posture for a few seconds. In the end, the tongue has to be pulled out as much as possible and remains in this position for some time. While doing this, make sure that you do not put any kind of extra stress. Practice it daily with ease.
- Drinking water from a straw: Exercise to reduce the problem of stammering also includes drinking water from a straw.
- Pranayama: Pranayama like Bhramari Pranayama can also improve voice, which can help to some extent in the problem of stammering. To do this, first, sit in a quiet place by laying a yoga mat. Then close both the ears with both the thumbs and then place the middle finger, ring finger, and Kanishka finger on the eyes and keep the index finger on the head. Then close your eyes and take a deep breath through your nose and exhale slowly. You can chant Om while exhaling. This can be done four to five times at a time.
Note: Do the above-mentioned exercises only on medical advice, as there is a lack of accurate scientific research related to them.
Read till the end
What should and should not be eaten by people struggling with the problem of stammer, know below?
What to eat in a stammer
A brain development diet can be used to treat stammering, which may include the following foods:
- Foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids such as fish, flaxseeds, kiwi fruits, and walnuts.
- Consumption of turmeric For this, turmeric can be used in food.
- Flavonoid-rich foods such as dark chocolate and citrus fruits.
- Vitamin-B supplementation on medical advice.
- Vitamin-D-rich foods such as fish, milk, and mushrooms.
- Vitamin-E-rich foods like avocado, nuts, or spinach.
- Vitamin-C-rich foods such as citrus fruits.
- Iron-rich foods like spinach and lentils.
Which foods should be avoided:
- Do not consume junk food.
- Stay away from alcohol.
- Do not smoke
Note: In case of stammering, definitely contact the doctor for detailed information related to the necessary food items.
Know below the remedies to prevent the problem of stammering.
According to experts, stammering cannot be avoided, but to reduce it, the practice of speaking slowly and distance from the stressful environment can be done. Also, the help of a speech therapist can be taken.
Hopefully, now you must have known a lot about the problem of stammering through this article. Along with this, information about how stammering can be treated will also be known. In such a situation, if you or someone in your family has this problem, then home remedies for the problem of stammering mentioned in the article can be adopted. At the same time, if the problem is serious, then the doctor should be contacted immediately. Especially, parents should pay special attention to the symptoms of stammer, so that the child can be treated properly in time. Know further the answers to some important questions related to the topic.
Frequently Asked Questions :
Stammering is known in English by both names stammering and shuttering.
As we mentioned in the article there is no exact cure for stammering. However, it can be reduced to a great extent with the help of speech therapy and regular exercise. At the same time, this problem can sometimes be fixed on its own.
No, the Government of India has not yet officially considered the problem of stammering as a disability.
It cannot be cured at once, but it can be reduced to some extent through speech therapy. You must take necessary information in this subject from the doctor.
Contact your doctor for this.