Almost everyone will be familiar with the fact that yoga strengthens the body and mind. At the same time, there are many such asanas in yoga, which along with benefiting particular parts of the body, can also work to increase mental strength. One such yogasana is Salabhasana. It is believed that if practiced regularly, one can get many health benefits, which are explained in detail in this article. To know the Benefits of Salabhasana yoga, read this article of Myhealthonly till the end and also take special care of the precautions.
Before knowing the Benefits of Salabhasana, let us know what is Salabhasana yoga.
What Is Salabhasana?
Salabhasana is a Sanskrit word, in which Shalabh means grasshopper. While doing this asana, the body looks like a grasshopper, hence it is named Salabhasana. This asana is considered to be one of the main 32 yoga asanas written in Gheranda Samhita. In English, it is also known as Locust Pose and Grasshopper Pose. At the same time, it is also popular in the common Hindi language by the name of grasshopper pose. More details about its benefits are given below.
Read till the end
Come, now let us know what are the Benefits of Salabhasana yoga for the body.
Wonderful Benefits Of Salabhasana
By doing Salabhasana, the body can get physical and mental benefits in many ways. At the same time, it should also be kept in mind that if someone is suffering from any serious health problem, then medical treatment is necessary. Yoga can be practiced only to stay away from diseases and for a healthy lifestyle. It is not a quick cure for any disease.
- Benefits of Salabhasana in reducing weight
This asana can be beneficial in reducing weight. Belly fat can be reduced by the practice of this asana. A study published on the website of the NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information) mentions all the yoga asanas that can be helpful in improving the metabolic risk profile (which includes obesity). Salabhasana is also included in these yoga asanas. Research also mentions that these asanas can also be helpful in reducing waist measurement. Metabolic syndrome or metabolic risk factor is the name of a group of risk factors that can increase the risk of heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.
At the same time, according to another research, the practice of Salabhasana can help in modulating ghrelin (the hormone that increases appetite), which can help in controlling obesity. Along with this, other asanas can also be practiced, because doing yoga can prove to be good for reducing obesity.
- Salabhasana for Muscles
The abdominal muscles along with the hip and bone joints experience maximum stress (stretch) while performing Salabhasana. Its practice can make them stronger. It is mentioned in research that this asana can strengthen the back and abdominal muscles. Along with this, it can also help in making the spine flexible. At the same time, its regular practice can also help in reducing the problem of back pain and sciatic nerve pain.
- Benefits of Salabhasana in Menstrual Problems
The benefits of Salabhasana yoga can also be helpful in improving menstrual disorders. Yoga experts believe that this asana is a good exercise for the pelvic area and abdomen. Its practice can make the abdominal muscles strong. Practicing Salabhasana yoga can activate the entire female reproductive system. It may be useful for women with irregular bleeding. It can also be beneficial in the problem of menopause. In addition, it can improve the flow of blood and oxygen to the pelvic area. Always keep one thing in mind before practicing yoga during menstruation, definitely consult a gynecologist.
- Benefits of Salabhasana in reducing stress and anxiety
The benefits of Salabhasana yoga can also be taken in reducing stress. Persistent stress can be a major cause of many physical and mental disorders. At the same time, Salabhasana yoga can prove beneficial in the prevention of stress. Actually, research related to this mentions a list of yoga asanas, which can show beneficial results in stress as well as anxiety. Salabhasana has also been included in these yoga asanas. Therefore, the method of doing Salabhasana yoga for mental peace can prove to be effective.
- Benefits of Salabhasana in increasing blood flow
Practicing yoga can increase blood flow, which can speed up the process of oxygen reaching the body’s cells. This activity of yoga practice can promote the functionality of cells. Salabhasana is also a yogasana, which can increase the flow of blood in the body. It can also be useful in purifying the blood. Therefore, its regular practice can be helpful in keeping the flow of blood in the body smooth.
Let us know in the next part of the article how to do Salabhasana Yoga.
How to do Salabhasana Yoga
The benefit of doing any yoga asana is only when the complete and correct method of doing it is known. The method of doing Salabhasana is explained in the points below, read it carefully.
- First of all, lay a yoga mat in a clean environment.
- Now lie down on your stomach.
- Then move the hands backward and press the palms under the thighs.
- After that connect your ankles together.
- Now while breathing slowly, raise one leg up. This is called Eka pada Salabhasana.
- Get used to staying in this position as much as possible and continue with the breathing-exhalation process as normal.
- Then bring the foot down and do the same process with the other leg.
- After this, raise both the legs as high as possible.
- If both the legs are raised, then it is called bipedal posture.
- In this way, you will complete one cycle of Salabhasana.
- This asana can be done three to four times at a time.
- Keep in mind, that after every cycle, take a break of one minute.
Come, now let us know what are the important things to keep in mind while doing Salabhasana.
Tips for Doing Salabhasana for Beginners
The following points should be kept in mind before doing Salabhasana –
- This posture is not as easy as it looks. There may be some discomfort in the beginning while doing this. Therefore, it is difficult to do exactly the exact posture at first.
- In the beginning, try to lift only the legs. Keep your upper body on the ground.
- You can use your hands to support your body.
- Start practicing slowly, only with continuous practice one can become proficient in this asana.
- Beginners should do this asana only under the supervision of a yoga instructor.
More details ahead
Let us know further in the article what precautions should be taken while doing Salabhasana.
Precautions for Salabhasana
The benefits of Salabhasana are really amazing, but before doing it, readers should know about some precautions, such as –
- Always try to do this asana under the supervision of a yoga instructor.
- If a person is suffering from a neck or spine injury, he should avoid the practice of Salabhasana. You can also take guidance from the doctor on this subject.
- Pregnant women should not practice this asana.
- People suffering from complaints of high blood pressure, heart disease, and asthma should not practice it.
In this article, you learned how to do Salabhasana yoga and how the benefits of Salabhasana can benefit the body. Friends, the person who eats the right food and practices yoga daily, falls ill less and their lifestyle is also healthy. Therefore, this asana can be made a part of the lifestyle. Hope this article was helpful for you. Do share this article with your friends.