You might find this article shocking. This is because we are telling the benefits of red wine. Of course, red wine is beneficial, but only in limited amounts as a supplement. In this article, you will not only get to know the benefits of drinking red wine, but you will also know how red wine is made. Also, in this article on Myhealthonly, you will get information about how to drink red wine and its quantity. After knowing the benefits of red wine, include it as a healthy diet only after consulting a doctor. Apart from this, do not forget to consume it in large quantities by mistake. Also, it is right to give priority to medical treatment for any serious disease. At the same time, we would also advise that red wine should not be consumed only as a hobby or as fun.
Note: This article describes the benefits of red wine as a medicine. Myhealthonly does not promote the consumption of alcohol in any way. Therefore, it is necessary to consult a doctor regarding its consumption.
Read detailed article
First of all, let’s know about red wine.
What is red wine and how many types are there?
Red wine is made from dark grapes, but the color of the wine can vary. The color of the wine may be purple, some may be red, and the color of the wine may be brown. Commonly used wines are made from two major red grape varieties, Kotsifali and Mandilari. Wines made from Kotsifly are lighter in color but have higher alcohol content. At the same time, the red wine made from Mandilari is dark red in color. This is due to anthocyanin content and tannic content. Both these components are the reason for the variation in the color of the grapes.
Now take a look at the types of red wine as well :
Well, there are many types of red wine. It is not possible to tell about all in one article. Hence, we are listing some of the major varieties here. Each wine is known for its distinct specialty.
- Syrah: This red wine is also called Shiraz. This variety is slightly spicy and dark red in color. It is not made in large quantities. Some of its varieties are very long-lasting and their flavor is also very strong.
- Merlot: It is a soft variety of red wine. This variety is a good choice for those who want to consume red wine for the first time.
- Cabernet Sauvignon: This red wine is one of the best varieties in the world, and is much loved.
- Malbec: This red wine is made in Bordeaux, France, and is often combined with the Carbonate and Merlot varieties of red wine.
- Pinot noir: This is counted among the most special red wines, which are very difficult to make.
- Zinfandel: This is the world’s highest-quality red wine.
- Sangiovese: This is an Italian red wine. Its taste is like a berry.
- Barbera: It is somewhat similar to Merlot, but it is not a very popular variety.
Let us now know what is there in red wine, which makes it so beneficial for health.
What is in red wine that is good for health?
Red wine is mainly made up of water, carbohydrates, minerals, and polyphenols. Wine contains substances that can have a significant effect on heart diseases and some chronic diseases. As we mentioned above, red wine is mainly made from grapes and grapes are rich in many types of antioxidants.
Especially its resveratrol antioxidant can help keep the heart healthy. Their presence in food and drink may reduce the risk of heart disease, some cancers, and diabetes. Not only this, but the consumption of red wine can also be helpful in reducing the blood pressure of high-blood pressure patients.
Still remaining information
Going ahead in the account know the red wine benefits.
Red Wine Benefits
Here we are telling the benefits of drinking red wine, but before that, we want to make it clear that red wine is not a cure for any disease. It can only reduce their symptoms and effects to some extent. Also, it is necessary that it should be consumed in limited quantities, so further in the article, we will also tell how much red wine should be drunk. Now know the benefits of red wine:
- Benefits of Red Wine for Heart Health and Cholesterol
Anyone can be at risk of cholesterol problems and heart disease. In such a situation, it is important to pay attention to it in time. Some people may be surprised to know that there may be benefits to drinking red wine here. In a research published by NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information), it was found that red wine contains antioxidant components like resveratrol, proanthocyanidin, and quercetin.
These components can reduce the problem of atherosclerotic (the accumulation of fat, cholesterol, and other substances in the arteries) by reducing oxidative stress in both animals and humans. From this, it was concluded that the consumption of red wine in moderation may be helpful in reducing cardiovascular risk.
Some other studies have also shown that red wine can also help control cholesterol. Keep in mind that this does not mean that anyone should start consuming red wine. If someone does not consume alcohol or someone has serious heart problems, then definitely consult a doctor before consuming red wine for the first time.
- Benefits of Red Wine for Diabetes
Red wine drink can also be beneficial for diabetes. To confirm this, research was done on red wine drinkers and people who did not drink red wine. In this research, glucose levels were seen to decrease in those who drank a limited amount of red wine. They were found to have a lower risk of diabetes than those who did not drink red wine. Apart from this, many other studies have also revealed that red wine may be helpful in reducing the risk of type 2 diabetes. Just keep in mind that include it in the diet only on medical advice.
- Benefits of Red Wine for High Blood Pressure
High blood pressure can lead to heart attack, kidney problems, and eye problems. In such a situation, the risk of high blood pressure can be reduced to some extent by consuming red wine. According to a report by Harvard Medical School, regular non-alcoholic red wine can be consumed. Wine can control blood pressure by preventing damage to the arteries.
Red wine contains antioxidants such as polyphenols. These polyphenols become more beneficial when they do not contain alcohol. Therefore, non-alcoholic red wine can be consumed after consulting a doctor.
- Benefits of Drinking Red Wine to Prevent Cancer
Often, it is read that alcohol consumption can increase the risk of cancer. In such a situation, the prevention of cancer by the consumption of red wine can be a shocking thing. According to a report, red wine contains resveratrol. It can destroy pancreatic cancer cells. This may reduce the risk of pancreatic cancer. Keep in mind that this is not a cure for pancreatic cancer.
At the same time, according to animal studies, red wine can protect against esophageal cancer. The main reason behind this may be the lignans (a type of polyphenol) present in red wine. In addition, the flavonoids present in red wine may also reduce the risk of gastric cancer. Apart from all this, the resveratrol present in red wine also has anti-cancer properties. Despite all this scientific evidence, more research needs to be done on red wine in relation to cancer.
Keep in mind that if a person is suffering from cancer, then he should get himself treated by a doctor. Cancer cannot be cured with the help of only home remedies and remedies like red wine.
- Benefits of Red Wine for the Liver
Let us make it clear that if someone is already suffering from liver-related problems, then he should not consume red wine. If we talk about red wine’s benefits for the liver, then it has been confirmed in research that the consumption of red wine in small or balanced amounts on the advice of a doctor can have a hepatoprotective effect.
This may be due to the antioxidant effect of resveratrol present in red wine. Also, keep in mind that excessive consumption of it can also cause liver damage. Therefore, it is better to ask the doctor once how much quantity is right to take daily.
- Benefits of Drinking Red Wine for the Brain
Red wine may also have benefits for the brain. Its consumption can be beneficial for the brain and nervous system. It may have a protective effect on the brain. This may be due to the resveratrol present in red wine. This effect also largely depends on the amount of red wine consumed. Its excessive consumption can cause other health problems.
- Benefits of Red Wine for Depression
Red wine can also be consumed in small amounts to prevent depression. According to research published on the NCBI website, the consumption of red wine in small amounts can reduce depression. Also, keep in mind that excessive consumption of it can also increase the risk of depression. More research is still needed on this. Therefore, it is better to take the advice of a doctor or specialist about this.
- To Increase Omega 3 Fatty Acids
Omega 3 fatty acids are essential for proper brain development. Not only this, but it is also necessary to keep the heart healthy. However, the body obtains omega-3 fatty acids from many foods. Along with this, if wine is consumed in a balanced amount, then the benefits of red wine can be seen in increasing omega-3 fatty acids.
In scientific research, high amounts of omega-3 fatty acids were found in heart disease patients by consuming small amounts of wine. This comparison was made to those who did not consume wine. At present, there is still a need for more research on this. If someone wants to consume wine on the basis of this research, then definitely consult a doctor once.
- Benefits of Red Wine for the Eyes
If we talk about the benefits of drinking red wine for the eyes, then it can also be beneficial for the eyes. It is not us, but the research done by scientists is saying this. Research done on rats found that resveratrol, a special substance present in red wine, can reduce the risk of vision problems by increasing the level of glutathione, a type of antioxidant, in the body.
Resveratrol may also have a protective effect on the lens of the eye. Apart from this, it can also prevent vision-related problems in diabetes. This research has only been done on animals. Therefore, more research is needed on how effective red wine is for humans in relation to the eyes.
- To increase immunity
To keep the body healthy and protect it from infection, it is necessary to have the right immune system. There has been a lot of debate among scientists about the connection between alcohol and immune power. At the same time, according to the research paper published by NCBI, wine and beer are among the drinks rich in polyphenols. Consuming wine in small to moderate amounts might improve the immunity of adults.
Despite this scientific evidence, doctors do not believe that wine is good for immunity. Actually, excessive consumption of it can also have a wrong effect on the immune power. This is the reason why further research is needed in this regard.
- For a good sleep
Sleep deprivation is also a major problem, which can have an impact on physical and mental health. In such a situation, red wine can be beneficial for good sleep. As we have mentioned that wine is made from grapes and grapes contain a hormone called melatonin. This hormone can work to improve sleep. In such a situation, it can be speculated that the consumption of wine can be helpful in good sleep. At present, there is a lack of accurate scientific research in this regard. In such a situation, it is better to use it only on the advice of the doctor.
- For the Bones
With increasing age, the body can become a victim of many diseases. These include bone problems as well. In such a situation, it is important to take care of your bones and take the right diet. Wine can be beneficial in keeping bones healthy. According to a scientific study, drinking small amounts of wine can protect bones from fractures and bone mass loss. Wine is rich in phenolic compounds, phytoestrogens, and natural antioxidants, which may be beneficial for bones. Still, more research needs to be done in this regard.
- Benefits of Drinking Red Wine for Teeth
Talking about red wine benefits, it can also be beneficial for teeth. Scientific research clearly mentions that the resveratrol present in red wine can be effective in gum problems. In addition, the antimicrobial effect present in red wine can also be effective in protecting the teeth from bacteria. For now, more research is needed to be done on this topic. Also, it is better to consult your dentist before using red wine for teeth.
- For Lung Health
Consuming red wine in moderation can also help keep the lungs healthy. This is confirmed by research presented on the website of NCBI. According to this research, exposure to oxidant effects can damage the lungs and thereby affect lung function.
At the same time, the resveratrol present in red wine has an antioxidant effect, which may act to protect against lung damage caused by oxidants. Also keep in mind that consuming it in excess can be harmful.
- For Parkinson’s disease
The benefits of drinking red wine include protection against Parkinson’s disease. Actually, Parkinson’s is a disease in which some brain cells stop working. Explain that these cells help in controlling the movement of the body. The person suffering from this disease has difficulty in maintaining the balance of the body.
In such a situation, the benefits of drinking red wine can be seen. Research published on the NCBI website suggests that the resveratrol and quercetin compounds present in red wine may exhibit neuroprotective effects against Parkinson’s disease.
- For Fertility
Red wine benefits also include boosting fertility. Indeed, oxidative stress can affect fertility. As such, antioxidant-rich foods or beverages may be helpful in increasing fertility by reducing oxidative stress. Let us tell you, red wine has also been included in antioxidant-rich beverages. For now, further research is needed on this topic.
- To prevent obesity
The benefits of drinking red wine can also be seen to control overweight or obesity. Research on rats suggests that consuming red wine drinks in controlled amounts can prevent body weight gain. However, how much effect it has on humans, there is still a need to do more research in this regard.
- Skin and Anti-Aging
Red wine can be beneficial not only for health but also for the skin. Resveratrol present in red wine can protect the skin from the harmful rays of the sun. This can help in avoiding the effects of premature aging on the skin. Also, the anti-inflammatory (reducing inflammation), and antioxidant (protecting against free radicals) properties present in it can be beneficial for the skin. Not only this, but resveratrol can also be helpful in preventing skin cancer.
- Benefits of Red Wine for Acne
As we mentioned above, the benefits of red wine can also be for the skin. In such a situation, the benefits of red wine can also be seen to get relieve acne. Actually, resveratrol also has anti-acne properties, which can help reduce acne. In addition, resveratrol may also exhibit antibacterial (preventing the growth of bacteria) properties. This property can help in relieving acne caused by bacteria.
- Red Wine for Hair
If we talk about the benefits of red wine for hair, then research suggests that the consumption of red wine rich in flavonoids can be beneficial to get relief from the problem of hair loss during the period of menopause. At present, more research is needed on this topic.
Stay with us
After knowing the benefits of red wine, know the nutritional element of red wine.
Nutritional Value Of Red Wine
Below we are sharing the list of nutritious elements present in red wine.
Scroll down to learn how red wine is made.
How Is Red Wine Made?
If we talk about how red wine is made, then its process is quite interesting. We are telling about it in detail below.
Process for making red wine:
- Destemming Process: First the black grapes are plucked and taken to the winery. When the grapes are plucked, they are accompanied by leaves and twigs. These can make the wine taste unappetizing or overly bitter. In this case, the grapes and twigs are separated during the destemming process.
- Crushing: After the destemming process, the grapes are crushed. How much to crush the grapes depends on the winemaker. The crushed mixture is poured through a pipe into a large stainless steel vessel and further sent for the fermentation process.
- Fermentation Process: The temperature is controlled during fermentation, as a lot of heat is released from fermentation. If this temperature is not controlled, the wine can become bitter and taste bad. In this process the solid and liquid are separated, i.e. the juice is separated from the fruit. The process of extracting the juice from grapes is by microbiological transformation, also known as malolactic fermentation. In this process, the malic acid present in grapes is converted into lactic acid due to the action of bacteria. The red wine is then filtered and drained into another vessel. The wine is then placed in a stainless steel or wooden container before bottling it. Here any taste-related defect is rectified.
- Filtration: Finally the wine is passed through a filtration process. Here any bacteria and the unnecessary microscopic matter left in the wine are removed. After this process, the red wine is finally filled into glass bottles with cork stoppers.
Read more article
Now it’s time to learn about buying and storing red wine.
How To Buy And Store Red Wine?
- Tannins (a type of polyphenol) – The fewer tannins in a wine, the milder it will be in taste and less intoxicated. Therefore, choose wines with low tannin, especially for those who are going to consume it for the first time. Wine options with low tannins are Pinot Noir, Barbera, and Sangiovese. At the same time, there are options for wines with higher tannins – Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, and Nebbiolo.
- Labeling – Check which grapes the wine is made from and from which region.
- Brand – While buying wine, keep in mind the brand of red wine as well. Try to choose only selected and well-known brands.
- Blend – Keep in mind that most red wines are blended. All you have to do is choose the blended wine of your choice.
- Body – Here we mean how light or heavy the wine can be for the individual. The wine body is divided into three sections. The wine that has the lowest alcohol content and dissolves easily in the mouth is a light-bodied wine. Whereas, those that have a little more alcohol, that medium body, and those that have more alcohol than that, fall in the category of heavy body.
- Oak – Red wine is often fermented in oak. This gives the wine a nice texture.
- Vintage – The older the wine, the better. Therefore, when buying, look at how old the red wine is.
- Price – Keep the red wine price in mind as well. Let it be heavy on the pocket of the buyer.
How To Store :
- To maintain the quality and taste of red wine, its proper storage is essential. Since it has a low alcohol content, there is a risk of spoilage and more care is needed.
- Always keep a red wine bottle slightly curved so that its cock is moist. Holding the bottle upright can dry out the cork and allow air into it, which can spoil the wine.
- People generally think that the older the wine, the better. Wine tastes better with age, but this is not the case with all wines. Most red wines are made to be used immediately. Keeping them for a long time can damage them. These types of wines don’t taste better as they age, but with good storage, they can be stored for a little longer.
- Red wine should be kept away from the ultraviolet rays of the sun, as it can spoil the taste of the wine. To maintain the quality of the wine, it must be kept in a dark bottle. Yet these bottles cannot completely protect the wine.
- You can keep a bottle of red wine in a box or wrap it with a cloth. Alcohol should be kept away from chemicals, food, and other household items. There are small holes in the cork of the bottle. Hence, they can easily absorb any odor. This can spoil the taste of the wine.
- Temperature is very important in maintaining the quality of the wine. The ideal temperature for serving red wine should be between 50 and 65 degrees Fahrenheit. This is because the taste of alcohol is felt more by serving hot wine. At the same time, the taste of cold red wine is more bitter and astringent.
- Hold the bottle upright for some time before serving the wine, so that the fine particles in the wine settle to the bottom.
- Once the bottle is opened, try to finish it within two to three days, as the quality of the wine begins to deteriorate as oxygen begins to enter the red wine.
- It can be stored in the refrigerator for a day or two and to come to a suitable temperature, take out the bottle first and consume it later.
- To fully enjoy red wine, always serve it in a wine glass.
In this part of the article, we are talking about the use of red wine.
How to Use Red Wine
Red wine can be used in a variety of ways. We read about them below:
- Red wine can be used while cooking non-vegetarian food.
- Red wine can be used mainly as a flavoring agent.
- Red wine can be consumed directly.
- Some special recipes can also be made from red wine. For example – red wine risotto or grilled salmon with red wine butter.
- A face pack made of red wine can also be applied to the face. Yogurt and honey mixed with red wine can be prepared and used as a face pack. Do a patch test before using the red wine face pack.
- If the person wants, then red wine can be applied on such a face too.
- Red wine can also be applied to the hair. After washing the hair, mix a little conditioner in red wine and apply it to the hair and wash the hair after a few minutes.
Stay in the article
Know below how to drink red wine and its right amount.
How to drink red wine :
- First of all, choose your favorite red wine.
- Then choose the right wine glass.
- After that open the wine bottle properly and pour it into the wine glass.
- Now shake the glass lightly, smell it, and then consume.
- Drink it cold to enjoy the taste of wine.
Amount of drinking red wine :
Now the question arises that how much red wine should be drunk. Here we are giving information about alcohol to the readers. Alcohol is also present in wine, keeping in mind that we are giving information. Keep in mind that Stylecrase does not promote the consumption of alcohol in any way. Here, according to scientific research, our purpose is only to give information by telling the quantity.
- Women can consume about 118 ml of wine in a day.
- At the same time, men can consume about 236 ml of wine.
Note: This quantity also depends on the health of the person. Therefore, even now we would advise that any person who wants to consume it, must first consult a doctor. Myhealthonly does not promote the consumption of alcohol.
Scroll to read
Also, know the side effects of red wine at the end of the article.
Side Effects Of Red Wine
There are both advantages and side effects to drinking wine. So far we have told the benefits of red wine in the article, but consuming it in excess can also bring some harmful effects, which we are discussing below. Some of the side effects of red wine are as follows:
- Drinking too much red wine can also lead to addiction.
- Alcohol is present in red wine. In such a situation, excessive consumption of it can cause liver disease.
- Pregnant women or lactating women should avoid consuming wine. Consumption of alcohol can cause many health problems for the unborn baby. This includes fetal alcohol syndrome. This can have an impact on the mental and physical development of the baby.
- Its excessive consumption can increase the risk of diseases like obesity, diabetes, and cancer.
- There can be a change in lifestyle, which can also have an impact on interpersonal relationships.
After reading the benefits of red wine in the article, many people would like to include it in their diet. Before that, let us also make it clear that people who do not consume alcohol should not choose it as an option. There are benefits to drinking red wine, but there are also side effects and it can also have a bad effect on health. Therefore, according to your age and health, the first person should consult a doctor about how much red wine should be drunk. In such a situation, readers can also follow the method of drinking red wine mentioned above. If red wine is taken as a medicine in balanced quantity, then it can be beneficial. It is our request to the readers to consume red wine in the right way and if not necessary, not consume red wine just for fun.
Frequently Asked Questions :
There is a lack of accurate information about whether consuming a glass of wine at night is healthy or not.
Therefore, it would be better to contact the doctor for information on this subject.
The temperature for serving red wine should be 62 to 68 degrees Fahrenheit.
It is a bit difficult to tell whether red wine is vegetarian or not. Actually, it depends on the method of making it. At the same time, if the bottle has a green dot mark, then it is considered vegetarian.
Red wine can have an alcohol content of 10.6 grams.
It is difficult to tell at the moment what red wine tastes like because there are many types.
Consuming red wine daily can be harmful, as it can lead to addiction, due to which one may have to suffer the side effects of red wine mentioned in the article.
Yes, if red wine is consumed in excess, it can be harmful. Actually, alcohol is present in red wine, excessive consumption of which can cause liver disease.