In this article, we will discuss how to lower cholesterol. Due to hectic routines and poor eating habits, the body becomes vulnerable to many problems. It also includes an increase in cholesterol. Disturbances in the level of cholesterol can lead to many problems like heart disease and blood pressure. Although doctors give many types of medicines to reduce cholesterol, if some changes are made in the routine and home remedies to reduce cholesterol are used, then this problem can be avoided. Keeping this in mind, in this article of Myhealthonly, we are telling about how to lower cholesterol in detail. Along with this, here we are also giving information about the symptoms of increasing cholesterol and home remedies to reduce it.
Let’s start article
First of all in the article we are telling what is cholesterol.
What Is Cholesterol?
Table of Contents
Often the question that comes to people’s minds is what is cholesterol? Actually, the wax-like fatty substance found in every cell of the body is called cholesterol. It is also known as hypercholesterolemia, hyperlipidemia, and hyperlipoproteinemia. Cholesterol helps to manufacture hormones, vitamin D, and other types of substances in the body, which makes it easier to digest food. At the same time, having high cholesterol in the blood increases the risk of diseases related to the arteries.
We know what cholesterol is. Let us now know about the types of cholesterol.
Types Of Cholesterol
Although there are only two types of cholesterol, here we are telling in detail about all types of cholesterol:
- Low-density lipoprotein (LDL): This is also known as bad or bad cholesterol. High levels of LDL cholesterol increase the risk of heart disease and stroke. This type of cholesterol is the main source of blockage of arteries. Because of this, the risk of many other problems and diseases also remains.
- High-Density Lipoprotein (HDL): This cholesterol is known as good cholesterol. It can help in reducing bad cholesterol ie LDL. Keeping HDL cholesterol levels normal can reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Total Cholesterol: This refers to the amount of total cholesterol present in the blood. It includes both low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol and high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol.
- Triglycerides: This is a type of fat found in the blood. According to some studies, high levels of triglycerides may increase the risk of heart disease in women.
- Very Low-Density Lipoprotein (VLDL): Very low-density lipoprotein (VLDL) is another type of bad cholesterol. High levels of VLDL lead to the formation of plaque (fat deposits) on the arteries.
- Non-HDL: This is very low-density cholesterol. It includes all other cholesterol except HDL cholesterol.
Keep reading article
In the next part of the article, we will now try to know the causes of increased cholesterol.
High Cholesterol Causes
The most common cause of high cholesterol is a chaotic and unhealthy lifestyle. Apart from this, there can be many reasons for increasing cholesterol, some of the main reasons are as follows:
Poor diet: Consuming foods, in which the amount of fat is high, such as – meat, fried foods, dairy products, chocolate, etc. Eating these foods containing fat can increase LDL (bad) cholesterol.
Overweight: Being overweight is also one of the causes of high cholesterol. In such a situation, reducing weight can help in reducing the increased cholesterol level.
Lack of physical activity: Cholesterol increases due to a lack of physical activities, yoga, and exercise in everyday lifestyle. This type of lifestyle lowers HDL cholesterol (the good cholesterol). Regular exercise can lower the level of LDL cholesterol and increase the level of HDL cholesterol in the body.
Smoking: Smoking lowers HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol) and increases LDL (bad) cholesterol. The condition of low good cholesterol due to smoking is seen especially in women.
Genetic reasons: People also have high cholesterol problems due to genetics. Familial hypercholesterolemia is a type of genetic and inherited high cholesterol.
Proceed to article
Here now we will try to understand what can be the symptoms of increasing cholesterol.
High Cholesterol Symptoms
There are usually no symptoms of high cholesterol. How much cholesterol is there in the body, it can be clear only from the cholesterol test. Yes, if someone has had high cholesterol for a long time, they may have a higher risk of heart diseases such as angina (chest pain), heart attack, and stroke. In some cases, the patient is aware of high cholesterol levels after a stroke or heart attack. This is the reason why it is advisable to have blood tests for cholesterol test from time to time.
Read more article
After knowing the symptoms of increasing cholesterol, here we will know how much cholesterol should be in the body.
After knowing so much about cholesterol, the question is bound to arise in the mind how much cholesterol should be there? Below we are talking about healthy cholesterol levels based on age and gender. Before understanding how much cholesterol should be, know that during the cholesterol test, cholesterol is measured in milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL):
Keep reading the article.
After all the information about cholesterol, here we are telling you the home remedies to reduce cholesterol.
Let’s Know How to Lower Cholesterol Through Home Remedies
Cholesterol treatment is possible only with the help of doctors, but with the help of home remedies, cholesterol can be controlled to some extent. We will tell you below how to lower cholesterol by using natural home remedies.
- Coconut Oil
The benefits of coconut oil for health are many. Consuming virgin coconut oil can also be beneficial for lowering cholesterol. It contains lauric acid. It can help in increasing the good cholesterol i.e. HDL cholesterol. At the same time, another research mentions that virgin coconut oil can help in correcting the lipid profile as well. Therefore it can be said that coconut oil can be helpful to some extent in controlling cholesterol levels. It can be used in place of other oil while cooking.
Consuming gooseberry can help in controlling many diseases as well as controlling cholesterol. Amla has antioxidant properties along with rich vitamin C. Apart from this, gooseberry juice also has hypolipidemic properties. According to research published in NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information), all these properties of amla reduce bad cholesterol and total cholesterol. Also, these properties can help in increasing good cholesterol (HDL). In such a situation, the benefits of amla juice can be achieved to control cholesterol.
Onion can be used to enhance the taste of food as well as reduce cholesterol. This is confirmed in research done on rats. In research, rats were given onions, after which their cholesterol was found to decrease. At the same time, in another research, red-colored onions have been said to be beneficial for reducing cholesterol. Apart from this, dried onions also have hypolipidemic and antioxidant properties, which can help reduce cholesterol. On this basis, it would not be wrong to say that onion is used in any form, it can help in controlling cholesterol.
- Orange Juice
In Ayurveda, orange juice is used as a medicine to treat cholesterol. Actually, due to the vitamin C and folate present in oranges, antioxidant properties are found in them. Along with these, orange juice is also endowed with hypolipidemic properties. These properties and flavonoid compounds found in oranges can help reduce the amount of bad cholesterol present in the blood and increase good cholesterol. Therefore, orange juice can be considered the best option to avoid cholesterol. To reap the benefits of orange juice, it can be included in breakfast every day.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
The use of apple cider vinegar is also considered beneficial to remove cholesterol. Evidence of this is found in two separate research related to apple cider vinegar. Both research-based on rats show that apple cider vinegar contains acetic acid, which may help normalize elevated cholesterol. It is believed that those who include it in the diet can also reduce the problem of heart disease. On this basis, apple cider vinegar can also be considered a better option to control increased cholesterol. To get the benefits of apple cider vinegar, it can be mixed with water and taken an hour before a meal. Apart from this, it can also be used by mixing it with salad. Keep in mind that it should be included in the diet only in limited quantities.
- Coriander Powder
Coriander powder can enhance the taste of food as well as take care of health. One animal study found that using coriander extract can help lower cholesterol. The hypolipidemic, hypocholesterolemic, and antioxidant properties present in coriander play an important role in this work. In such a situation, it would not be wrong to say that this can prove to be an effective way to control the problem of cholesterol. Coriander powder can be used while cooking vegetables.
- Fish Oil
Fish oil is used as medicine. It is considered beneficial for skin to hair. The omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids found in fish oil can lower bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol. On this basis, it can be assumed that fish oil can also be helpful in controlling cholesterol. Fish oil can be used for cooking. At the same time, it is possible that some people do not like its taste, so its capsules available in the market can also be consumed. However, it is better to use fish oil capsules only after consulting a doctor.
Although the use of garlic is usually used for making vegetables or chutney, it can also be used to reduce the increased cholesterol. This has been clearly accepted in research related to garlic. Research has found that garlic extract can help correct the overall lipid profile, including cholesterol. At the same time, another research has also found that garlic can be beneficial in reducing the level of total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein (bad) cholesterol. Considering both these facts, it can be assumed that garlic can be helpful in controlling cholesterol.
- Green Tea
Many people resort to green tea to control cholesterol. In fact, it has antioxidant properties. These properties can help control cholesterol levels in the blood. In addition, the antioxidant property of green tea has also been considered helpful in increasing the level of HDL cholesterol. In such a situation, to reduce the increased cholesterol, about two cups of green tea can be consumed throughout the day. A dietitian can be consulted once about how much of it should be taken daily.
- Lemon Juice
Lemon can also prove beneficial in the problem of cholesterol. According to research related to lemon juice, the antioxidants present in lemon can play an important role in controlling cholesterol. Apart from this, the use of lemon can also reduce the level of serum cholesterol, triglycerides, and low-density lipoprotein. In view of this, it would not be wrong to say that lemon can prove to be effective to a great extent in controlling cholesterol.
Flax seeds can be consumed to control cholesterol. A good amount of fiber is found in flaxseeds. The fiber present in it can help in reducing the level of total cholesterol and LDL (harmful) cholesterol. Its powder can be used to lower cholesterol. Powder made from linseed seeds can be used for salad dressing.
- Grapefruit Juice
Consumption of grapefruit juice can reduce the symptoms of high cholesterol. Actually, it contains polyphenol compounds like Resveratrol, Phenolic Acids, Anthocyanins, and Flavonoids. They act as antioxidants in the body. Therefore, with their help, grapefruit juice can help in reducing harmful cholesterol. It can be taken in the form of juice in the afternoon or evening. Grapefruit juice may not suit some people. Therefore, it would be advisable to take the advice of a dietician before using grapefruit juice regularly.
- Pomegranate Juice
Pomegranate juice can control cholesterol. It contains antioxidants like polyphenolic tannins and anthocyanins. These can help in increasing the level of HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol) and reduce the level of harmful i.e. LDL cholesterol. Pomegranate juice can be consumed directly or by mixing with other juices.
Yogurt contains components of Lactobacillus Acidophilus and Bifidobacterium Lactis. Both these components are considered beneficial for reducing the harmful cholesterol present in the blood. Therefore, curd can also be used in the treatment of cholesterol. You can eat a bowl of curd throughout the day.
- Chia Seeds
The use of chia seeds can get rid of many heart diseases by controlling cholesterol. Chia seeds are rich in fiber and antioxidants. These are considered capable of reducing the harmful cholesterol present in the blood. In addition, they can also help in increasing the level of good cholesterol. Chia seeds, powder, and oil can be used to lower cholesterol. It can be used by soaking it in water, with curd, or by making its powder.
- Celery Juice
Celery juice can also be used to control cholesterol. It is rich in fiber as well as antioxidants. For this reason, the use of celery can help increase HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol) by lowering the bad cholesterol (LDL) present in the blood. It can be consumed in any form of salad, juice, or soup.
Consuming oats can be beneficial for controlling cholesterol levels. Oats contain a component called beta-glucan. Consuming at least 3 grams of beta-glucan per day can lower levels of harmful (LDL) cholesterol. Along with this, it is also considered beneficial in promoting the level of HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol). It can be used as a breakfast cereal with milk or as a soup.
- Essential Oil
There are many oils available on the market, which can be used to control cholesterol. Here we are telling in detail about some such special essential oils:
- Olive Oil: Olive oil can be used for both flavor and nutritional value. The polyphenols present in it prevent oxidative damage related to lipoproteins. This can lower levels of harmful (LDL) cholesterol and triglycerides (a type of fat). Also, it can help in increasing HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol) in the body.
- Palm Oil: Palm oil can also help control cholesterol. The Tocotrienol compound found in it can be helpful in controlling cholesterol. The use of palm oil can reduce harmful (LDL) cholesterol without any effect on HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol).
- Spearmint Oil: Cholesterol can be controlled by using this oil. According to the medical report published on the website of NCBI, the extract prepared from spearmint leaves contains phenolic compounds. When this compound was used on rats, it increased the antioxidant process in the body. Along with improving the immune system, it also helped in reducing harmful glucose and cholesterol present in the blood.
- Neem Oil: Neem flower extracts (oil, powder, juice) have cholesterol-lowering effects. These block the absorption of cholesterol in the intestines. It also helps in preventing the formation of cholesterol. Actually, due to the hypocholesterolemic properties present in neem, it is considered helpful in preventing the increase of cholesterol.
- Lemon Oil: Lemon oil can also be used to control cholesterol. Lemon oil contains limonene, an antioxidant, and a Y-terpinene compound. These properties can help increase HDL by reducing the level of LDL cholesterol present in the blood.
- Almond Oil: The monounsaturated fatty acids found in it can reduce harmful (LDL) cholesterol, total cholesterol, and plasma triglyceride in the body. Also, this fatty acid can be beneficial in increasing the level of HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol).
Apart from the above-mentioned ingredients, vitamins are also considered beneficial in controlling cholesterol. In fact, high doses of vitamin B have been shown to help balance cholesterol and triglyceride lipid levels in the body. At the same time, vitamin-B i.e. niacin has anti-atherosclerotic properties. This property is believed to be beneficial in increasing high-density lipoprotein (HDL). Apart from this, vitamin E has also been considered necessary in this case. It helps in reducing the accumulation of plaque in the arteries due to cholesterol and in curing diseases related to the arteries due to cholesterol.
Apart from this, according to research available on NCBI, vitamin C can also be helpful in reducing cholesterol. It can help in lowering LDL cholesterol i.e. bad cholesterol and triglycerides. Despite this, do not take any vitamin supplements without the advice of a doctor.
After knowing how to lower cholesterol by using natural home remedies, we are telling about the importance of diet to prevent it.
What to eat and what not to eat high in cholesterol
Whether it is to keep cholesterol under control or to reduce the increased cholesterol, diet plays an important role in both situations. Therefore, below we are telling in detail what things should be consumed and which should be avoided to keep cholesterol under control.
- Eat a fiber-rich diet: Cholesterol can be reduced by consuming foods rich in soluble fiber. It prevents cholesterol from being absorbed. Fiber-rich whole grains, oatmeal, and oats can help lower cholesterol. Apart from these, consuming apples, bananas, oranges, pears and dried plums in fruits can prevent cholesterol levels from rising. Kidney beans, lentils, chickpeas, black peas, and lima beans may also be beneficial in controlling cholesterol.
- Consume vegetables and fruits: Along with fruits, vegetables can also play an important role in controlling cholesterol. These can help increase cholesterol-lowering compounds in the body. Actually, they contain stanol or sterol compounds, which work in the body like soluble fiber.
- Eat foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids: Omega-3 fatty acids can help lower bad (LDL) cholesterol levels as well as increase HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol) levels. Fish oil, chia seeds, flaxseed oil, walnuts, canola oil, soy oil, soybeans, and tofu can be good sources of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Avoid cholesterol-raising foods: Cholesterol levels should be less than 200 milligrams a day. Also, we have explained in detail the level at the beginning of the article. Meat is high in cholesterol. In addition, egg yolks, lobster, and dairy products can be high in cholesterol. Therefore, they should be consumed in limited quantities.
- Do not consume alcohol: Consumption of alcohol can increase the extra calories in the body. Because of this, weight gain occurs, and when the weight increases, the level of LDL also starts increasing. Also, increasing weight can lower the level of good (HDL) cholesterol. Alcohol consumption can increase cholesterol as well as the risk of heart-related diseases.
- Limit the amount of salt: Try to limit the amount of salt which means sodium. Eat no more than 2,300 milligrams (about 1 teaspoon of salt) a day. Limiting salt will not reduce cholesterol, but it may reduce the risk of heart diseases by lowering blood pressure.
There is more information
Let us now also know some important tips to prevent the problem of cholesterol.
Prevention Tips for Cholesterol
Through the points given below, we are telling here some important things related to the prevention of high cholesterol.
- Control weight: To avoid the problem of cholesterol, it is necessary to control the increasing weight, because obesity can be one of the symptoms of increasing cholesterol. To avoid this, the intake of foods high in fat should be limited.
- Exercise and Yoga: Along with yoga and exercise in everyday life, it is also important to pay attention to physical activities. These will not only reduce obesity but can also help in controlling cholesterol as well as removing problems related to it.
- Quit smoking: Smoking damages healthy blood cells. Also, it can also become a reason for increasing cholesterol. Therefore, try to avoid smoking to avoid cholesterol and its associated problems.
- Cholesterol Test: To know the level of cholesterol in the body, it is also necessary to get cholesterol tests done from time to time.
After reading this article, you must have come to know that cholesterol is not a problem but a condition due to which other diseases can be surrounded. In such a situation, the information related to the symptoms and remedies of cholesterol included in the article can be very helpful in controlling this problem. However, it is also important to understand that home remedies for lowering cholesterol can only help in relieving this problem. The complete treatment of the problem depends on the doctor’s consultation.
Frequently Asked Questions :
It has been mentioned above in the article that high cholesterol should avoid consuming foods that increase cholesterol. These foods include meat, egg yolk, lobster, and dairy products.
Yes, banana consumption can be beneficial for high cholesterol.
No, high cholesterol patients should not consume coffee. According to research available on NCBI, it can increase the cholesterol level in the body.
HDL cholesterol works by removing excess cholesterol from the body. Hence it is also known as good cholesterol.