You must have kept fast at one time or another, but do you know the scientific importance of fasting? Do you know how fasting benefits health? Of course, fasting in India is seen as associated with religion and faith, but apart from religious significance, the benefits of fasting are also related to health. Know in this article of My Health Only what are the benefits of fasting for health. Along with this, we will also inform you about the types of fasting and their side effects.
Let’s start article
In the first part of the article, we are giving information about what is fasting.
What is Fasting?
The definition of fasting can vary from person to person. Usually, during fasting, a person sacrifices a particular food and drink, etc. for a specified time. Sometimes people take only water, fruits or juices during the fast and sometimes they do not take anything during the day. The duration of the fast can be a day, a week, or more. As we mentioned above that fasting is not only associated with reverence and devotion, but it also has many health benefits, which we are going to elaborate on further in the article.
After understanding what is fasting, we will discuss the benefits of fasting and the types of fasting.
Types of Fasting –
There are many types of fasting. For some people, the benefits of fasting are god grace sight, and blessings of God. Well, it is there, but it is also beneficial for health. Some common types of fasting are as follows.
- Morning fasting – In this fast, only two meals are eaten except breakfast in the morning.
- Evening fasting – In this, food is not eaten at night. After eating twice a day, do not eat food after dusk.
- Weekly fasting – Some people fast on a particular day every week. It depends on the person whether they should drink water or eat fruit during that fast. Just don’t eat salty foods during this time.
- Juice fasting – During this fast, the person does not consume solid or heavy foods. In this, the person drinks only fruit juices.
- Fruit fasting – In this, the person consumes only fruits.
- Nirahar fasting – In this fast, the person does not eat anything. He can only drink water. It is also known as complete fasting.
- Milk fasting – In this type of fasting, the person consumes only milk.
- Nirahar-Nirjala fasting – This fast is very difficult, because there is neither food nor drink in it.
- Diagnostic Fast – If a person goes for a medical test and there is a need to stay on an empty stomach for that test, then this fast is kept. In this, until the test is done, the person remains without eating or drinking anything or he does not eat until the person is asked to eat and drink.
- Intermittent Fasting – This fasting is very much in trend nowadays. It is done to reduce weight. In this, the time or pattern of eating is changed. In this, fasting can be done except for a day or two or the amount of food can be reduced. Apart from this, people eat food between eight and five in the morning. Then the food is eaten directly the next day at eight in the morning. Yes, beverages such as juice, coffee, tea, and water can be consumed.
- Other types – Apart from these, there are other types of fasting, in which the person does not consume sugar or sugary foods. There are some fasts in which a person stops consuming high-calorie foods. How to fast depends entirely on the person and his physical ability.
Now moving ahead in the article, let us know what are the benefits of fasting.
Health Benefits of Fasting –
The benefits of fasting are not only for peace of mind but also for health. Below we are giving information about the same.
- Detoxify the body
The benefits of fasting include cleansing the body. According to the research paper, if a fast is followed, which includes fluids instead of consuming food, then the body can detoxify properly. It can improve digestion as well as reduce stomach problems and skin problems.
- Lose Weight
Obesity is the problem of more than half of people. In such a situation, if it is not taken care of in time, then it can cause many physical problems. By the way, fasting can be a good way to lose weight. According to the research paper, intermittent fasting can help in reducing the increasing fat. In this fast, instead of solids, drinks are consumed or the time of eating is changed.
- Benefits of Fasting for the Digestive System
Fasting can also be beneficial for the digestive system. By fasting, the body’s own healing system works properly, due to which the body starts fighting on its own from many types of problems. According to research, 62.33% of people did not have problems of indigestion during fasting, 27% of people got cured of indigestion. Also, fasting is also called a “miracle cure”, which can remove digestive disorders.
- Fasting for the Skin
Many times, not only the cream and cosmetics but the effect of food and drink also starts on the skin. Due to excessive oil spices or eating outside, the skin starts to look lifeless and can lead to acne and pimples. In this case, fasting can be beneficial. We have already mentioned above that fasting can detoxify the body. When the body is detoxified, the toxins present in the body will come out, due to which the skin will get a new glow and the skin will start looking beautiful.
- Fasting for Blood Pressure
Fasting can relieve the problem of high blood pressure to a great extent. In this, intermittent fasting, which usually involves fasting for 16 hours and eating for 8 hours, can prove to be very beneficial. It is written in the research paper that fasting for a week can reduce blood pressure. High blood pressure can be controlled by doing this fast in the right way.
- Lower Cholesterol
Intermittent fasting can help in losing weight. It may also reduce the risk of cholesterol. A research paper states that fasting done after a gap of one day can reduce cholesterol. With this, triglyceride i.e. a type of fat and bad cholesterol can be controlled.
Research also mentions that fasting during Ramadan can also help in reducing plasma lipids and lipoproteins. It can have a positive effect on cholesterol. On this basis, fasting can be considered helpful in reducing cholesterol.
- Fasting to Lower Blood Sugar
When the level of blood sugar in the body increases, people suffering from it have to face health problems. Fasting can be considered beneficial to get rid of it. According to research, fasting can prove to be very effective for people suffering from blood sugar. However, those whose blood sugar is uncontrolled, they should fast only after consulting a doctor.
- Fasting to Boost Immunity
To fight any infection, it is necessary to have a strong immune system. Fasting is believed to be extremely beneficial for boosting immunity. According to research on this, fasting can improve autophagy i.e. the body’s ability to clean cells. This can strengthen the body’s immune system and immunity, which can increase its ability to fight against all diseases.
- Fasting to break the addiction
The effect of fasting has also been seen in people who have a bad addiction to something. Whether it is an addiction to food or any other substance, fasting can help. According to research, fasting can cause some changes in brain neurochemistry, which can reduce the desire to consume something again and again. On this basis, it can be said that fasting can be useful in getting rid of any addiction.
- Fasting for Mental and Emotional Benefits
Fasting not only affects physical health but also affects mental and emotional health. This can improve concentration. It may help to focus as well. Not only this, but fasting is also known to remove problems like anxiety, stress, and insomnia. Fasting can help a person to remain emotionally calm and feel happy.
We are going to tell what should be eaten during fasting in the next part of the article.
What should be eaten during fasting?
What should be eaten during fasting depends on the type of fasting the person is doing. We are mentioning below some foods, which can be consumed during fasting. With these, the body will be able to get enough nutrients, which can protect the body from the risk of any kind of weakness.
- Eat juicy fruits
- Eat dry fruits
- If you are not eating salt, then eat green vegetables cooked without salt.
- If Nirjala fasting is not kept, then milk can be included in the diet.
- If you don’t like milk, drink tea or coffee.
- Drink fruit juice
Note: The above-mentioned foods are meant as substitutes for the fasting person. These can be changed according to the type of fasting.
After knowing the benefits of fasting and what to eat during fasting, read abstinence in fasting.
What to Avoid During Fasting
Pay attention to the diets mentioned in this part of the article and try to follow them as much as possible, so that you can get the benefits of fasting completely.
- If there is a problem with acidity or gas, then avoid drinking tea or coffee on an empty stomach.
- If you are fasting for the first time, then start with short or short periods of fasting. Avoid fasting for long or long periods.
- Eat right and nutritious food before fasting, so that there is no problem during fasting. Just avoid eating too much in one go.
- Avoid strenuous exercise or prolonged exercise during fasting, as the body needs energy during this time and exercising can lead to a lack of energy in the body. It can also lead to a feeling of tiredness and weakness.
- Do not fast if you have health issues or are taking any medicine.
- Obviously, after fasting, there can be more hunger. In such a situation, while breaking the fast or immediately after the end of the fast, avoid doing some heavy diet.
In the next part of the article, we will give information about the side effects of fasting.
Side Effects of Fasting
If fasting is not done properly, then there can be side effects of fasting, about which we are giving information in this part of the article.
- If you do not consume the right nutritious foods during fasting, then health problems like dehydration, dizziness, and weakness can occur.
- If you fast for a long period, anemia can also occur.
- Eating heavy immediately after fasting can cause stomach problems.
- Some people may complain of irritability or anger from being hungry.
- Being hungry for a long time can cause headaches and problems in the body.
After knowing the benefits of fasting above, you must have come to know so much that it not only gives peace to the mind but can also improve health. Here we want to make one thing clear that fasting should be kept according to our health. A weak person is not advised to fast for a long time. Drink plenty of water, juices, and fruits during the fast, to avoid the side effects of fasting.
Frequently Asked Questions –
Yes, fasting is considered good for health. It can help in maintaining all kinds of balance in the body. This is a good way to detoxify the body, whose positive effect is also visible on the skin. Not only this but fasting can also prove beneficial in staying mentally and emotionally healthy.
How long you should fast depends on your body and willpower. In such a situation, you must first determine what is the purpose of fasting. If you want to fast on the basis of faith, then you can keep fasting for one or two days a week for as long as you want. If there is a desire to reduce obesity, then intermittent fasting can be done daily. In this, eating nutritious foods for eight hours of the day and then eating solid foods for the remaining 16 hours.
Intermittent fasting can prove to be very helpful in reducing weight. People do this fasting in two ways. Some people fast for 16 hours and some people fast for 12 hours. In such a situation, until the weight is not reduced, you can do intermittent fasting. If there is any health-related problem, consult a specialist before doing this fast.
Yes, you can usually drink water during fasting. If you have kept a Nirjala fast, then do not drink water in it.