Determining the shape of your face is essential to choose the right hairstyle, makeup, and even glasses that complement your features. There are six different types of face shapes: oval, round, square, heart, diamond, and oblong. Understanding which one you have can help you make the best decisions when it comes to enhancing your natural beauty.
To determine your face shape, you will need a mirror and a measuring tape. Stand in front of the mirror, and follow these steps:
Step 1: Measure your forehead
Use the measuring tape to measure the widest part of your forehead. This is usually the area between your hairline and your eyebrows.
Step 2: Measure your cheekbones
Measure the widest part of your cheekbones. This is usually the area below the outer corner of your eyes.
Step 3: Measure your jawline
Measure the distance from the tip of your chin to the bottom of your earlobe. Then double this measurement to get your jawline length.
Step 4: Measure the length of your face
Measure the distance from the center of your hairline to the tip of your chin.
Once you have these measurements, compare them to the following guidelines to determine your face shape:
- Oval face shape
An oval face shape is longer than it is wide, with a gently curved jawline. The forehead is slightly wider than the chin, and the cheekbones are high and prominent.
- Round face shape
A round face shape is as wide as it is long, with a rounded chin and cheeks. The forehead and jawline are also rounded.
- Square face shape
A square face shape is as wide as it is long, with a strong jawline and a square forehead. The cheekbones are also prominent.
- Heart face shape
A heart face shape has a wide forehead and cheekbones, with a narrow chin that comes to a point. The jawline is usually narrow and pointed.
- Diamond face shape
A diamond face shape has a narrow forehead and chin, with wide cheekbones. The jawline is also narrow, creating a diamond shape.
- Oblong face shape
An oblong face shape is longer than it is wide, with a straight jawline and a forehead that is roughly the same width as the cheekbones.
Now that you know your face shape, here are some tips on how to enhance your natural beauty:
- Oval face shape: Almost all hairstyles suit an oval face shape. Try a center part or a side parting, and experiment with different lengths and styles. To highlight your cheekbones, try contouring with blush or bronzer.
- Round face shape: Long hairstyles that add volume and height to the top of the head can elongate a round face shape. Avoid hairstyles that add width to the sides of the face. Contouring with darker shades of makeup along the jawline can create a more defined look.
- Square face shape: Soft, layered hairstyles that frame the face can soften a square jawline. Avoid straight, blunt cuts that accentuate the square shape. Softening the edges of your eyebrows with makeup can also help to create a softer look.
- Heart face shape: Soft, wavy hairstyles that fall around the face can balance a heart-shaped face. Avoid hairstyles that are too voluminous at the top of the head. Use blush or bronzer to create a natural-looking flush on the apples of your cheeks.
- Diamond face shape: Hairstyles that add width to the forehead and chin can balance out a diamond face shape. Side-swept bangs can also soften the angles of the face. Use highlighter to bring attention to the cheekbones and create a more defined look.
- Oblong face shape: Hairstyles that add volume to the sides of the face can create