What are the benefits of deep breathing?
Take a look at these surprising benefits of deep breathing
Table of Contents
Many problems start in your body due to irregular routines and bad habits. If even a little time in the day is taken out for deep breathing exercises, then you can protect the body from many diseases. The act of deep breathing helps you relax your mind and body by relieving stress.
Along with this, taking deep breaths also helps you sleep well. To take advantage of deep breathing exercises, it is very important for you to know about the correct technique. By taking deep breaths with the right technique, you start feeling its benefits soon.
The “Benefits of Deep Breathing” are explained to you in detail in this article considering its superior reactions to the body. Along with this, an attempt has been made to tell you in detail how to take deep breaths and methods of deep breathing, etc.
Method Of Deep Breathing
To get the benefits of deep breathing, you have to understand its correct method, because you get the full benefits only when you take deep breaths with the right method. Know its correct method in further detail:
- For this, you have to lie down on your back on the ground or bed. While doing this, keep a pillow on your head and knees. If you do not want to lie down, then you can start this exercise while sitting, but keep in mind that while sitting, you sit in a chair in which your back, shoulders, and neck are supported.
- After sitting or lying comfortably, you slowly fill your stomach with air while breathing through your nose.
- After this, slowly exhale the air through your nose.
- While doing this action, keep one hand on your stomach and the other hand on your chest.
- While breathing slowly, feel the action of filling the air in the stomach. At the same time, while exhaling, you should also feel the stomach going down. While taking a deep breath, the hand placed on the stomach moves up and down more than the hand on the chest.
What are the things to pay attention to?
- The images that emerge in your mind while taking deep breaths are helpful in relaxing you.
- Keep your eyes closed during this time.
- Take a few deep and long breaths in the beginning.
- Feel the calmness while breathing and feel the same for your whole body.
- As you breathe out, feel the tension and anxiety coming out along with the air.
- There should be an equal time of inhalation and exhalation. For this, while inhaling, count up to 5 in your mind and do the same while exhaling. This helps in equalizing the time of inhalation and exhalation.
- Do not exert too much force while inhaling and exhaling.
- Wear loose clothes while doing this exercise.
- Keep repeating this process for about 10 to 20 minutes.
Tremendous Health Benefits Of Deep Breathing
- Detox the body by taking deep breaths
Every day the body is exposed to a variety of toxins, which can include polluted environments, contaminated water, and food. The body cleans itself by expelling these toxins through the breath. If you do not take deep breaths, the body’s ability to flush out toxins is reduced. Due to this other systems of the body have to work harder to clean the blood and due to this, the person becomes ill. When you inhale and exhale deeply, many types of toxins are also released along with carbon dioxide.
- Increases oxygen level by deep breathing
You feel relaxed while taking deep breaths and due to this oxygen reaches the cells of the body in the right amount. Cells need naturally obtained oxygen. Our body can survive without food for about 40 days and without water for 3 days, but if we do not breathe for a few minutes, our body dies. Adequate oxygen from deep breathing increases the efficiency of all your body’s functions. In such a situation, you also feel better your concentration ability and physical stamina.
- Deep breathing reduces stress
Short breaths are related to stress and anxiety. The body feels insecure while fighting or before fighting, due to which the person starts taking light and short breaths. Short breaths cause anxiety, fear, and hyperventilation (rapid breathing) and this is because the person’s body is getting ready for danger.
Take deep breaths to avoid stress and anxiety. Due to this, your body starts getting enough oxygen, and you become worry-free. By taking deep breaths, your heartbeat also normalizes, due to which you start feeling calm. If you have anxiety and fear disorders, deep breathing can help you relax in the current situation.
- Deep breathing improves the respiratory system
Deep breathing relaxes the diaphragm and breathing muscles. Along with this, deep breathing reduces respiratory problems such as asthma and shortness of breath. This process reduces the tension of the intercostal muscles, the bones between the shoulders and ribs, and the muscles of the spine, neck, and shoulder which help in standing, and also reduces the tightness of the chest.
- Deep breathing is beneficial for the heart
Most people do not know that deep breathing is also a better exercise for the body. Even if you do not exercise regularly or are unable to exercise due to any health problem, you can still reap the benefits of many exercises by taking deep breaths daily for some time.
By taking deep breaths, the work capacity of your heart increases, and fat starts burning easily. If you practice deep breathing in conjunction with other exercises, it also shows positive effects on your heart function.
A study was done on some people with heart attacks. The study found that people who adopted exercise and other breathing techniques after a heart attack had a nearly 50 percent lower risk of a second heart attack over the next five years.
- The digestive system is better by taking deep breaths
Deep breathing increases blood circulation in the digestive system. Due to this, there is an increase in the function of the intestines, and the digestive system becomes better. By improving digestion, problems like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and constipation are removed.
Your mood also has a profound effect on the digestive system and appetite. Deep breathing reduces stress and anxiety and improves your digestion.
- Weight control by deep breathing
Deep breathing helps in controlling weight. If you are underweight, then by taking deep breaths, tissues and cells get a sufficient amount of oxygen and your weight remains accurate. On the other hand, if you are overweight, then the proper level of oxygen works to reduce your excess fat. When you take short breaths, instead of reducing body fat, it starts destroying glycogen (a complex carbohydrate).
Breathing deeply has other benefits as well
Following are some other benefits of deep breathing:
- Sleep well
- Effect on brain function
- Keep young
- Keeping BP normal, etc.
Pranayama For Deep Breathing
You can adapt pranayama for deep breathing. Knowing the benefits of deep breathing, yoga gurus have been emphasizing doing pranayama for centuries. Next, some pranayama is being told to you, with the help of which you can adopt the technique of deep breathing.
- Anulom Vilom Pranayama
- Kapalbhati Pranayama
- Bhramari Pranayama
- Sheetkari Pranayama
- Murcha Pranayama
- Bhastrika Pranayama
- Sheetali Pranayama
- Nadi Shodhana Pranayama
- Ujjayi Pranayama