Cowpea is a type of plant, whose beans are used to make vegetables. Its pods are green from outside. At the same time, the color of its seeds can be black, brown, red and white. Its seeds can also be used as lentils. Cowpea seeds are rich in nutrients, which can work to keep many diseases away. Cowpea can help in staying disease free. At the same time, in the condition of disease, it can reduce the symptoms of the disease. Yes, if someone is seriously ill, it is necessary to get treatment from a doctor. In this article of Myhealthonly, we will give detailed information on both the benefits of cowpea and the side effects of cowpea.
First of all, we will read the benefits of cowpea and then at the end of the article we will know its side effects.
6 Impressive Health Benefits of Cowpea
If one consumes cowpea, it can have many physical benefits, which are as follows:
- For heart disease
According to a research by The American Heart Association published on the website of NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information), heart-related diseases can be avoided by consuming a high-fibre diet. Excess of fat and cholesterol promotes many cardiovascular risks, so fiber can help in keeping cardiovascular diseases at bay. Fiber can prevent fat accumulation in the heart area. Also can work to reduce cholesterol. At the same time, cowpea has been considered a good source of fiber. Therefore, it can be said that the benefits of cowpea can also prove beneficial in heart disease.
According to a research published in NCBI, some pulses and dry beans have anti-carcinogenic properties. Cowpea is also included in these beans. In such a situation, it can be believed that fatal diseases like cancer can be kept away by consuming it. On the other hand, if someone is suffering from cancer, then he should take proper treatment from the doctor, because there is no better cure for cancer than this. Also, in this condition cowpea should be consumed only on the advice of the doctor.
- High blood pressure
Due to high blood pressure, there is a possibility of risk like heart attack, kidney damage. Cowpea pods can prove to be helpful in avoiding this problem. Actually, anti-hypertensive properties are found in cowpea, which can prove helpful in controlling rising blood pressure. On the other hand, if someone is suffering from high blood pressure, then along with home remedies, he must also take medicine on the advice of the doctor.
- For diabetes
Doctors are advised to avoid many food items when there is a problem of diabetes. In such a situation, consumption of cowpea can prove beneficial in the problem of diabetes. For this, polyphenols found in cowpea pods may have an important role. Actually, polyphenols have anti-diabetic effects along with many medicinal properties, which can work to keep the amount of sugar in the blood in balance.
- As an Anti-Inflammatory
According to a research published on the website of NCBI, many nutrients are present in cowpea and due to the presence of these nutrients many medicinal effects are also found in cowpea. These also include anti-inflammatory properties. Due to this quality, consumption of cowpea can prove to be helpful in providing relief from swelling and pain in the body.
- Chronic Diseases
If someone is suffering from a disease for a long time, then cowpea can be helpful in getting rid of this problem. Actually, phenolic compounds are found in cowpea pods, which can work to provide protection to the body. This can be of some help in recovering from a long-standing illness. Explain that chronic diseases include cancer, ageing, diabetes and heart disease etc. Also, let us make it clear here that if someone is in this condition, then he should use this home remedy only on the advice of a doctor.
After knowing the benefits of cowpea in detail, next we are telling about its nutritional elements.
Cowpeas Nutritional Value –
If someone benefits from cowpea, the nutritional elements found in cowpea can be helpful. We have tried to explain these nutrients through the chart below.
Now further we will know about the use of cowpea.
How to Use Cowpeas
Cowpea can be eaten in many ways and along with its taste, nutrition can also be taken benefits of. Let us now have a look at some of the ways to use cowpea.
How to eat :
- Cowpea pods and seeds can be used to make vegetables.
- Cowpea seeds can be ground and used to make curry.
- Cowpea seeds can be eaten by making chaat.
- After soaking it for a few days, it can be eaten like a sprout.
When to eat :
- Soaked cowpea can be eaten in the morning.
- At the same time, cowpea can also be included in your diet to lose weight. Actually, the soluble fiber present in it can keep the stomach full for a long time and is essential for a high protein vegetarian diet. At the same time, after the workout, you can eat cowpea like sprouts or you can also boil it.
- Its vegetable can be used in lunch or dinner.
- Pakodas or chaat made of cowpea can be eaten in the evening.
How much to eat :
- Cowpea can be used to eat 150 to 300 grams per day. Despite this scientific evidence, it is better that you can consult a dietitian about its quantity.
Next, we will know the side effects of cowpea.
Side Effects of Cowpea –
Just as cowpea can be beneficial, in the same way cowpea can also have side effects. About whom we are telling below through some points.
- Excessive consumption of cowpea can cause stomach problems (such as indigestion, vomiting, diarrhoea, flatulence and constipation).
- In this way, a good amount of folate is found in cowpea, as well as iron and calcium are also found in it. Due to these nutrients, its consumption during pregnancy can be considered beneficial. However, in some scientific studies its consumption has also been found to be harmful for pregnant women. In such a situation, it is better that pregnant women consult a doctor before consuming it.
- In some people, the consumption of cowpea can cause allergic problems.
Now after reading about cowpea, you must have understood what it is. Also, what kind of diseases can it help to keep away and reduce their symptoms. Apart from this, the nutritional value of cowpea and some ways of its use have also been explained in the article, which can be helpful in its consumption. Keep in mind that cowpea can only reduce the symptoms of the disease. Doctor’s advice is necessary for proper treatment. Hope this article will be of use to you. If you have any other information related to this article, then you can share it with us with the help of the comment box given below.