Do you know the wonderful health benefits of barley?
You will be unaware of these necessary Barley health benefits
Let us tell you the amazing health benefits of barley after that you will know why you should consume barley.
So in this article of My Health Only, we are going to tell the health benefits of barley, Barley provide relief from many health problems.
Barley may not be popular compared to other grains, but when it comes to health, the medicinal properties of barley cannot be denied. It is a beneficial food item, which can easily treat many problems related to the body. Nutrients like protein, fiber, iron and calcium make it special. In this article, know about the benefits of eating barley and the different ways of consuming it, but first of all, know what is barley?
What is barley –
Barley is a grain, which has been produced since ancient times. It is grown in large quantities in countries like India, America, Germany and Russia. Although its popularity has reduced over time compared to staple grains like wheat and paddy, it is still used for health. In particular, barley water is considered beneficial for health. Know the types of barley below.
Types of Barley –
Barley seeds are present in the market in various forms, which you can buy as per your choice. Here we are talking about some popular types of barley –
1. Flax – This is a common type of barley, made by flattening barley seeds. It is used in already cooked food. You can eat it both hot or cold. It can be eaten instead of oats flakes.
2. Barley Flour – This is powdered barley, used as flour. You can make bread from it, like wheat bread is made. Apart from this, bread is also made from barley flour.
3. Grits – It is a thick barley flour. The top layer of barley seeds is removed to make it.
4. Hulled – This is a nutritious type of barley, which is simply cleaned lightly from above. It can also be called whole form of barley.
5. Pearl Barley – This is called the most beautiful form of barley. It resembles a shining pearl. Its seeds are uniform and white in color. It is mainly used in soups and salads.
After knowing the types of barley and barley, now know the benefits of eating barley for health.
Health Benefits of Barley –
Barley is counted among the most nutritious foods. It is rich in fiber, vitamin C and A etc., the most essential elements for mental and physical development. Know below how barley helps in various problems related to the body.
18 Marvelous Health Benefits of Barley, You must to know –
1. For Weight Loss –
The benefits of barley for weight loss can be seen. Barley is rich in fiber and fiber works to control the weight while keeping the digestive system healthy. Actually, fiber-rich foods work to keep the stomach full for a long time, causing frequent hunger, In this way, you can control the increasing weight without increasing more calories.
In addition to fiber, barley grass is rich in vitamin-C, which can help you lose weight. According to the report, there is an inverse relationship between vitamin-C and body mass. Thus, vitamin C can prevent fat accumulation. To control weight, you can make and drink barley and barley grass juice.
2. Cholesterol and Blood Pressure –
Cholesterol is a fat-like substance found in body cells. Its role is important in the formation of cells and hormones. Excess of cholesterol can have adverse effects on the body, including heart disease and stroke, but not to panic, because barley is cholesterol free. It can be consumed to avoid cholesterol.
There are two types of cholesterol, one good (HDL) and the other bad (LDL). According to one report, barley may work to reduce bad cholesterol.
The role of barley in controlling blood pressure can be seen. Barley is rich in potassium, which is known to control blood pressure. In addition, barley also contains fiber and fiber can play an important role in reducing hypertension.
According to another report, increasing cholesterol levels in the body can cause blood pressure. Barley is cholesterol free, which can act to boost blood flow.
According to one study, vitamin-C may work to control blood pressure. Vitamin-C supplements can reduce systolic and diastolic blood pressure.
3. Barley Health Benefits for Digestion and Constipation –
You can consume barley for better digestive health and to get rid of problems like constipation. Barley is a beneficial food item, rich in nutrients such as fiber. According to scientific research, a diet rich in fiber promotes better digestion and makes stool soft and relieves problems like constipation.
On the other hand, niacin (vitamin B-3) is also found in barley, which can help improve the digestive system.
4. Cardiovascular health –
The benefits of eating barley for the heart can be seen. As mentioned at the beginning of the article, increased cholesterol can cause heart disease, stroke and blood pressure. At the same time, barley is cholesterol free, so it can work to keep the heart healthy without boosting cholesterol.
Fiber in barley can also be beneficial for the heart. According to scientific reports, increased body weight increases hypertension, which keeps the stroke of stroke. Here fiber can play a protective role for the heart by controlling weight.
At the same time, potassium, on the other hand, can act to control blood pressure, thereby controlling the heart risk related to blood pressure.
5. Health benefits of barley for bones and teeth –
Barley can play an important role in maintaining the health of bones and teeth. It is rich in calcium, which is needed for the formation, growth and healthy bones. Reports suggest that calcium deficiency can cause a bone disease called osteoporosis, in which bones become severely weakened. Also calcium deficiency can promote bone fractures.
One reason for osteoporosis is also underweight and barley is rich in nutrients like calories and carbohydrates, which can work to overcome the problem of underweight. Calcium not only makes bones, but also teeth strong.
6. Cancer prevention –
You will be surprised to know that barley can also work to prevent from a deadly disease like cancer. Barley grass is rich in vitamin-C and vitamin-C is an effective antioxidant, which can serve as an effective therapy against cancer.
In addition, barley is cholesterol free and according to one study cholesterol can be the sole cause of many types of cancer risk. To fight cancer it is necessary to maintain the balance of nutrients in the body. Barley here can help you completely. Barley is rich in protein, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals.
7. Barley Health Benefits for Immunity –
The role of barley can also be seen in strengthening the body’s immunity. Barley grass is rich in vitamin-C and serves to boost vitamin-C immunity. This helps the body to fight against diseases. Apart from this, Vitamin-C also promotes Absorption of iron in the body.
The fiber present in barley can also play an important role in strengthening the body’s immunity. According to one study, fiber can work effectively in boosting immunity.
8. Benefits of Barley for Diabetes –
The benefits of drinking barley water have been seen for the prevention of serious diseases like diabetes. Diabetes is a medical condition in which the body is unable to produce enough insulin. Barley can help you here. According to scientific reports, regular intake of barley can act as a prevention in diabetes.
Benefits of fiber can also be seen for the treatment of diabetes. Barley is rich in fiber and according to one study, fiber can leave positive effects on patients with type 2 diabetes.
The benefits of vitamin C can also be seen for diabetes. Vitamin C can show effective effect on type 2 diabetes through a special element called nitric oxide.
Some carbohydrate foods with a low glycemic index may be beneficial for diabetes. Barley is included in the low glycemic index, which can act to control blood sugar.
9. Health benefits of barley for pregnancy –
During pregnancy, the benefits of drinking barley water can be seen in giving proper nutrition to the mother and the baby growing in the womb. Barley is rich in folic acid, which is considered very essential for a pregnant woman. Folic acid helps in the development of the infant’s brain, cranial and spine-associated neural tube defects as well as the fetus. Folic acid is one of the essential nutrients in the diet of a pregnant woman, especially in the first trimester.
Vitamin-C rich foods also play an important role in pregnancy. According to scientific reports, vitamin-C is considered very important for the overall health of mother and fetus.
Anemia during pregnancy is a serious physical problem that can lead to premature delivery, low birth weight and death of mother and baby. Barley can play an important role here, as it contains both iron and folate. Barley can be consumed to supply these two essential nutrients.
Vitamin B6 may also play an important role during pregnancy. According to scientific reports, vitamin B6 during pregnancy can play a supporting role in the infant’s brain development along with strengthening immunity.
10. Urinary tract infection –
Urinary tract infection is an infection involving the kidneys, ureters, bladder or urethra of any part of the urinary system. The function of the urinary tract is to flush out dirt, excess liquid and bacteria from the body. Sometimes bacteria cause infections in the urinary tract.
Barley may play an important role in uninar tract infection. At the same time, barley grass is rich in vitamin-C, which can work to remove vaginal infection.
Barley is rich in antioxidants such as vitamins C, A and E, which can work effectively on pyelonephritis. According to one study, vitamin-C and vitamin-E bladder can reduce the risk of cancer.
11. Summer Assistant –
Barley consumption in summer can provide protection to the body. Barley grass is rich in vitamins C and E, which can protect you from its antioxidant effects in summer. Vitamin-C has been shown to be especially effective for the skin. It works to protect the skin from the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun and reduces the effects of sunburn. Apart from this, Vitamin-C works to reduce dry skin, blemishes and skin irritation as well as to maintain the natural color of the skin.
12. Arthritis –
The benefits of drinking barley water can also be seen for Arthritis. Arthritis is a common disease in which joint pain, stiffness and swelling begin to increase as you age. Magnesium can play an important role here to keep bones strong. According to a scientific study, magnesium can promote structural development of bones.
The problem of Arthritis can also be corrected through proper nutrition. According to Scientific Research, taking a calcium-rich diet can prevent the problem of osteoporosis. In addition, arthritis can also be avoided by the inclusion of monosaturated fat in food. Barley is rich in both these nutrients, so it can protect you against arthritis.
According to another scientific report, type 2 diabetes can cause arthritis. The study described the relationship between diabetes and arthritis, which can be seen with aging. As we have also mentioned above, barley grass is rich in nutrients like vitamin C and fiber, which can help you get rid of diabetes. In addition, barley is included in the low glycemic index diet, which may be beneficial for diabetes.
13. Barley Health Benefits for Gallstones –
Gallstone is a small stone made of cholesterol, bile pigment, and calcium salt, which begin to develop in gall bladder. It is a common disorder associated with the digestive system and affects more people 50 years of age or older. Barley can play an important role to overcome this. According to a scientific report, obesity and rapidly decreasing weight can cause gall stone. Scientific reports suggest that if a diet containing fiber is consumed regularly, it can protect against gall stone. Barley is rich in fiber, so may play an important role here.
Vitamin C in barley can also help you to get rid of the problem of gall stone. According to the report, vitamin-C supplements can prevent gall stone.
14. Health benefits of barley for asthma –
Asthma is a medical condition in which swelling and excess mucus accumulate in the airways of the person, which causes difficulty in breathing. Barley can help you get rid of asthma. According to a scientific report, the problem of asthma in the newborn can be reduced with the help of barley.
15. Anemia –
Anemia is a blood disorder that occurs due to lack of hemoglobin or red blood cells in the body. Iron plays an important role in the production of hemoglobin or red blood cells. Its deficiency directly causes anemia. Since barley is rich in iron, it can be replenished by the consumption of barley.
In addition to iron, deficiency of folate in the body can also cause anemia. Folate is an essential nutrient of the vitamin-B group. Barley can be consumed to fulfill this.
To avoid anemia, those nutrients may be included, which support the production of red blood cells. Vitamin C present in barley grass may play an important role here. According to scientific research, vitamin-C may work to promote the formation of red blood cells. According to another report, vitamin-C deficiency (scurvy) can cause anemia. Barley is rich in vitamin C, so it can help prevent scurvy.
16. Atherosclerosis –
Atherosclerosis is a serious disease. In this, plaque starts to build up inside the arteries. Plaque is a sticky substance made from fat, cholesterol, calcium and other substances found in the blood. Over time, this plaque tightens and narrows the arteries, causing obstruction of oxygen-rich blood flow to the body. In such a situation, barley can help you in prevention of atherosclerosis. According to a scientific report, barley leaf’s antioxidant and hypolipidemic effects may protect against heart disease, in which atherosclerosis is important.
According to another scientific report, early atherosclerosis can be avoided with antioxidants. Nutrients such as vitamins A, C and E present in barley can play important roles, which act as effective antioxidants.
17. Health benefits of barley for impotence –
The benefits of drinking barley water have also been seen for serious problems like impotence. Impotence is a serious physical problem, which can be attributed to many reasons, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, obesity, and heart disease. Barley can help you get rid of these physical troubles. Barley contains fiber, which can help you get rid of obesity. In addition, potassium is also found in barley, which can control high blood pressure. Barley is cholesterol free, which does not work to promote cholesterol related heart risk.
Barley is a virtuous grain, which is full of essential nutrients for the body. Its regular intake can be very beneficial for mental and physical health. It is rich in essential vitamins (vitamins A, B, C, E), minerals (calcium, iron, potassium, sodium), fiber, protein.
Nutrients of barley can relieve severe illness such as cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure. In addition, antioxidants such as vitamin C in barley can also aid in skin beauty. If barley water is drunk on an empty stomach in the morning regularly, then relief from stomach problems can be found quickly.
Barley is an essential grain for the overall health of the body, which must be given a place in the daily diet. Know below, barley can help in some way for the skin.
These are all special health benefits of barley, By consuming barley you can make health good and avoid many diseases.
After knowing the benefits of barley for health, know below how barley can help you for skin.
Benefits of Barley for Skin –
1. Skin glow
Barley grass can also help in making the skin glow. It is rich in certain nutrients like Vitamin-C. Vitamin-C works to benefit the skin in various ways. It has antioxidant properties, which protects the skin from the sun’s harmful ultraviolet rays. Vitamin-C is also rich in lightening properties, which works to enhance the glow of the skin. In addition, it works to maintain the level of collagen in the skin, which is very essential for the natural color of the skin. Know below how to use barley to increase skin glow –
Barley grass juice
- Handful barley grass
- One and a half cup of water
How to use:
- Add barley grass and water to the blender.
- Blend well and sieve and drink.
- This remedy can be done three to four times a week.
You can use barley flour for the skin.
- Three to four teaspoons of barley flour
- A spoonful of lemon juice
- Two to three teaspoons of water
How to use:
- Make a paste by mixing barley flour with lemon juice and water and keep it aside.
- Now wash your face with clean water and wipe it well.
- Apply barley paste on the face and let it dry.
- After 15-20 minutes wash the face with mild cold water.
- This remedy can be done two to three times a week for better results.
2. Opens closed pores
Barley can help you open closed pores. Closed follicles can cause acne. Here vitamin-C present in barley can play an important role. Vitamin-C works to keep the skin healthy by removing pimples and blemishes. For this, you can consume barley juice.
3. Does Hydrate
It is also important for the skin to remain hydrated. In the absence of hydration, the skin can become dry, lifeless, as well as prone to various skin diseases. The hydration process works to keep skin cells healthy. Barley can help you here. Barley water can work to hydrate the skin. Apart from this, it also contains Vitamin E, which can work to hydrate the skin. Know below how to use barley –
- Half cup barley flax type
- A glass of water
- Half lemon juice
- A small spoon of honey to taste
How to use:
- Soak barley in water for overnight.
- Sieve the water in the morning and add half a lemon juice.
- Keep the water in the fridge to cool down and drink a spoonful of honey to taste.
- You can do this remedy daily.
4. Skin Elasticity
Due to lack of proper nutrition and aging, the skin starts losing its elasticity. Due to this, the attractiveness and beauty of the body begins to go away. Skin elasticity works to show wrinkles clearly. To get rid of this, you can start consuming barley.
Barley grass is rich in vitamin C, which helps to maintain collagen in the skin. At the same time, collagen works by reducing the effect of wrinkles while retaining the elasticity of the skin. Know below how to use barley –
How to use:
You can drink barley grass juice daily for skin elasticity. The method of making barley grass juice is explained above.
5. Healing Properties
Barley is rich in healing properties, which can work quickly to heal an injury. In addition, its grass is rich in vitamin-C. Drinking juice from its regular form will help in healing the wound quickly. Know below how to use barley for wounds.
- One to two teaspoon barley powder
- One and a half tablespoons water
How to use:
- Make a paste of barley powder mixed with water and apply on the affected area.
- Apply twice daily until the wound heals.
Know the benefits of barley for hair after the benefits of barley for internal health and skin.
Benefits of Barley for Hair –
1. Enhances hair
Barley and barley water is considered very beneficial for health and skin as well as hair. In particular, the benefits of barley can be seen for hair growth. It is enriched with all the essential vitamins and minerals that work to enhance hair. like –
Vitamin-C – Vitamin-C is a soluble vitamin and a powerful antioxidant, vitamin-C works to increase collagen and promotes the absorption of iron in the body, vitamin-C can be an effective remedy for hair loss problem due to iron deficiency. For this, you can drink juice of barley grass.
Vitamin E – Vitamin-E can be an effective option for hair growth. It is an effective antioxidant, which can act to prevent free radical damage. Know below how to use barley to grow hair.
How to use:
You can consume barley water for hair. For this, put two to three teaspoons of barley seeds in a glass of water overnight and filter and drink in the morning. You can also get barley water by boiling barley seeds in water. Regular intake of barley water can relieve the problem of hair loss. To taste, you can add a few drops of lemon and a teaspoon of honey in barley water.
2. Hair loss problem
Barley can help you to prevent hair fall problem. It contains the following nutrients, which can strengthen hair and relieve you from hair loss.
Iron – Iron deficiency in women can cause hair loss. To avoid this, you can consume barley, because barley is full of iron.
Vitamin B – Thiamine (B1), riboflavin (B2), niacin (B3) and vitamin-B6 maintain cells metabolism in the body, which can help to keep hair healthy. Riboflavin and folate are two special elements, the deficiency of which can cause hair loss. You can also supply all these nutrients through barley.
How to use:
You can drink barley water to get rid of hair loss problem. The method of making barley water is described above.
3. Maintains hair color
Lack of iron and copper in the body can cause untimely white hair. Barley grass can help you here. It is a source of iron and copper, which can help in retaining the natural color of hair. Barley grass water can be drunk to supply iron and copper. You can also water barley seeds to supply iron.
After knowing the benefits of barley water, know the nutritious elements present in barley.
Barley Nutritional Value –
Through the table below, know which nutrients are present in barley.
After knowing the benefits of barley water and the nutritional elements present in barley, let us now know how barley can be used.
How to Use Barley –
You can include barley in your daily diet as follows –
- You can consume barley by making a soup of barley seeds.
- It can be boiled as an alternative to rice or potatoes and eaten.
- You can make and eat barley flour loaves.
- Also you can make bread and eat it with barley flour.
- You can eat cooked barley seeds by adding it to the vegetable salad.
- For breakfast you can make delicious barley porridge (sweet or salty) and eat it.
- Use barley instead of rice to make risotto (a dish made of rice).
- Drink barley water for health. Add lemon or honey to it for better taste.
- Make barley seed powder and mix it in your smoothie or milk shake
You can also enjoy these barley recipes –
1. Barley polenta
- Half a cup of barley seeds
- Two teaspoons olive oil
- A spoonful of cumin seeds
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- Half cup chopped capsicum
- 1/2 cup yellow capsicum
- Half cup chopped ridge gourd
- 4-5 chopped green chilies
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
- First of all, add two cups of water in a pressure cooker to the barley seeds and boil it well.
- Now keep the oil for heating and add the whole cumin seeds.
- Then add chopped onion and chilli in it, stir well for two-three minutes, until the color of onion becomes light brown.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and stir well for two to three minutes.
- After the tomatoes are cooked, add all the chopped vegetables and cook for three minutes.
- Now add boiled barley seeds, salt and coriander and cook for four to five minutes. Be careful not to burn the material.
- Now serve hot barley polenta.
2. Barley Soup with Sprouts
- One cup boiled sprouts (gram, Mung bean, groundnut)
- One cup boiled barley seeds
- Two teaspoons olive oil
- A medium sized onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon red chilli paste
- A quarter cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cabbage
- Salt as per taste
- Two cups vegetable stock
- Two tablespoons corn flour
- Take a non stick pan and keep the oil to heat.
- Now put onion in oil and stir spoon until the onion turns light brown.
- Now add red chili paste, carrot and cabbage and cook well for three minutes.
- Add vegetable stock and keep stirring occasionally.
- Now add corn floor and cook well for two to three minutes.
- Now enjoy the hot barley soup.
3. Colorful Barley Salad
- Four to five small onions
- One cup capsicum (green, red and yellow)
- Half a cup of corn
- A cup of ripe barley seeds
- One or two garlic cloves finely chopped
- One tablespoon olive oil
- Two tablespoons finely chopped parsley and rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- One tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick pan and add onions, capsicum, garlic and corn seeds and spoon.
- Stir the spoon until the vegetables are slightly cooked.
- Now add boiled barley, parsley and rosemary.
- Add red wine vinegar on top.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix the ingredients well and cook well for two-three minutes.
- Now serve the hot barley salad.
After knowing how to consume barley, know more about the simplest way to make barley water.
How to Make Barley Water –
- A quarter cup of barley (hulled or pearl)
- Two cups of water
- One tablespoon lemon juice
- Two tablespoons sugar or one tablespoon honey
- Four to five ice cube
- First of all boil the barley well in water.
- Drain the water and keep it to cool.
- When the water cools, add lemon juice, sugar / honey to it.
- Add ice cube from above.
- Now enjoy refreshing barley water.
After the benefits of barley and its different methods of consumption, know below how to select and store it.
Barley selection and long-term preservation –
To use barley for a long time, it is very important to select and store it correctly. Know below how to select and store barley seeds.
Selection: Barley will be found in almost all food stores or supermarkets. Always buy barley from a reliable grain store. Barley is also available in packets. Before buying packet barley, check its quality and expiry date. Also see if there is any moisture in the packet. Always check the packaging date before purchasing.
Store: Keep barley seeds in a cool and dry place away from direct sunlight. To store barley, keep it in a plastic or glass container. If barley is stored properly, it can be used for up to a year.
During summer, you can store barley seeds in the refrigerator or freezer, but keep barley in an airtight container before storing. If possible, wrap the container from the top with a plastic sheet.
After the benefits and other information of barley, further know the side effects of barley.
Side Effects of Barley –
There is no doubt that barley is a beneficial food item, but excessive intake of it can cause physical problems. Know the disadvantages of barley below.
- As we mentioned, potassium is found in barley. Scientific studies say that excessive intake of potassium can cause hyperkalemia. It is a medical condition in which the amount of potassium is increased in the body. Hyperkalemia can lead to problems with breathing, chest pain, vomiting and nausea.
- Barley is also rich in essential nutrients like fiber. Fiber is considered good for the stomach, but excessive intake of it can cause stomach gas, bloating, and flatulence.
- Iron is also found in barley, but excessive intake of iron can be fatal for the body. Excess of iron stores in the body can cause liver, heart and pancreas damage. Excess of iron can cause symptoms such as fatigue, weakness, joint pain, weight loss or hair loss.
- Carbohydrates are also found in barley and high intake of carbohydrates can cause obesity.
- Calcium is also found in barley, but excessive intake can pose health risks. According to scientific reports, excessive calcium in the body can cause flatulence, gas and constipation.
Friends, these were the most miraculous benefits of eating barley. After knowing so many benefits of barley for the body, you must include it in your daily diet. We have also mentioned some selections of barley in the article, which you must try in your home and tell us. There may be some reported side effects during regular intake of barley. In such a situation, do not panic and contact the doctor. Hope this article written on Barley will prove beneficial for your health.
Frequently Asked Questions –
A – Yes, barley water can be drunk on an empty stomach, but excessive intake of it can cause diarrhea. However, scientific research is still needed on this.
A – Yes, drinking barley water again and again brings urine. It is normal that whenever we drink water excessively or repeatedly, urine comes.
A – No, gluten is present in barley. It is found naturally in barley.