Often forgetting things, repeating things, or showing no interest in any subject, all can be due to autism spectrum disorder. It is a mental disorder, which starts in childhood. It is important to start the treatment of autism in time, otherwise, its consequences can be fatal. Important information related to autism has been shared in this article of Myhealthonly. This article, from the causes of autism spectrum disorder to its symptoms and home remedies for autism, is explained in detail.
First of all in the article What is Autism, let’s know about it.
What is Autism Spectrum Disorder?
Table of Contents
Autism Spectrum Disorder is a type of mental disorder. Its symptoms start appearing in the early years of life. In this, the victim deals with social, communication, and behavioral challenges. It is a type of neurodevelopmental disorder, which keeps on increasing with age. Autism can also refer to other mental disorders in certain circumstances, but this is rare.
According to the American Psychiatric Association, the person suffering from this problem in talking or explaining his point to people, which affects his daily life such as school, office, or other areas of life.
After knowing Autism Meaning, you will know about the types of Autism.
Types of Autism Spectrum Disorder
The types of autism can be divided into three parts:
Autistic Disorder: Intellectual disability can be found in individuals with autistic disorder. Such individuals may have problems talking to others and establishing social behavior. Along with this, changes in their behavior and interest can also be seen.
Asperger’s syndrome: In this, the symptoms of autism are not as clear as those of autistic disorder. With this type of autism, the person with this type of autism may have a loss of interest and they may also have problems with social practicality. Language and intellectual disabilities are not found in this type like autistic disorder.
Pervasive Developmental Disorder: This type is also called atypical autism. Some of the symptoms of this autism type can be similar to those of autistic disorder. Although not all symptoms are the same, there may be problems in communicating and establishing social behavior.
In the next part of the article, know what can be the causes of autism.
Cause of Autism Spectrum Disorder
The exact cause of autism is not yet known, but it may be genetic. This can be due to genetic as well as environmental reasons. Causes of autism may include the following problems:
- Gestational age: Becoming a mother at 34 or older.
- Complications in pregnancy: Viral infections during pregnancy, bleeding, diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, or lack of oxygen in the uterus can all lead to autism.
- The mental health of the pregnant: If a pregnant woman suffers or has ever suffered from schizophrenia, depression, and anxiety, then there may be an increased risk of autism in the unborn child.
- Medications in pregnancy: During pregnancy, drug overdose can increase the risk of autism by up to 48 percent.
- Family circumstances: The social, economic, and psychological circumstances of the family influence autism.
After knowing the causes of autism, know further what the symptoms of autism can be.
Symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorder
The top symptoms of autism are discomfort in social communication and behavior, as well as repetitiveness and loss of interest. However, the symptoms of autism do not appear the same in everyone. Know below some common symptoms that are seen in most people with autism:
Problems in social communication such as:
- Little or no eye contact at all.
- Do not look or listen to others.
- Do not respond to name calls.
- Trouble maintaining communication.
- Talking a lot about a topic of your interest without giving a chance to the other person.
- Physical activity and gestures do not match what is said.
- Singing or having unusual vocalizations that sound flat and robot-like when talking.
- Having trouble understanding the point of view of others or understanding their gestures.
Restrictive/repetitive behavior such as:
- Repeating words or things in an unusual way.
- Being more interested in certain subjects, such as numbers, details, or facts.
- Getting depressed even with the slightest changes in daily life.
- Being more sensitive than others to light, sound, clothing, or temperature.
The symptoms of autism also include some positive things, such as:
- Able to remember things in detail for a long time.
- To learn easily by watching or listening to things.
- To excel in math, science, music, or the arts.
Relieving the symptoms of autism requires proper medical treatment, but home remedies for autism can also be used along with it. Learn about home remedies for autism in the next part of the article.
Home Remedies for Autism Spectrum Disorder
The home remedies for autism mentioned below can help in curing the symptoms of autism to some extent. Learn how home remedies for autism work and how they can be used.
- Epsom Salt
- Two cups Epsom salt
- Half cup baking soda
- A bathtub lukewarm water
- Mix two cups of Epsom salts in a bathtub of lukewarm water.
- Make the victim sit in this water for about 15-20 minutes.
- Finally, give him a bath with clean water.
How it works:
People with autism often have low plasma sulfate (sulfate levels in the blood), which is why they are advised to take sulfate supplements. Epsom salt baths have been shown to be one of the effective ways to increase plasma sulfate levels. Baking soda increases the absorption of salt in the body. Thus Epsom salt as a home remedy for autism can help ease its symptoms.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- Omega 3 supplements
- Omega-3 supplements can be given to the victim on the advice of the doctor.
- Foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids can also be consumed in home remedies for autism.
A research published on the website of NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information) has found that deficiency of omega-3 fatty acids in the body can cause autism. Omega-3 is a type of polyunsaturated fatty acid. It has anti-inflammatory properties and can help the brain cell membrane to function properly. In addition, omega-3 fatty acids may also help reduce some of the symptoms of autism, such as emotional and behavioral problems.
- Probiotic-rich diet and supplements
- The sufferer may be advised to take probiotic supplements daily.
- Foods containing probiotics can be included in the patient’s diet.
How it works:
People with autism often suffer from stomach-related problems such as abdominal pain, constipation, and diarrhea, which may be one of the reasons behind their abnormal behavior. In this case, taking a probiotic-rich diet and supplements can be beneficial. Probiotics can help relieve stomach problems by creating a balance between good and bad bacteria in the gut. Further in-depth research is still needed in this matter.
To get relief in any disease, along with its treatment, it is also necessary to take the right diet. In the next part of the article, know what type of diet should be consumed for autism.
Diet for Autism Spectrum Disorder
The following foods can be included in the diet to get relief from autism.
Magnesium-rich diet: People with autism tend to have low plasma magnesium levels, which can be a factor in autism symptoms. Lack of magnesium in the body can cause mental instability. A magnesium-rich diet can be included for this:
- Fruits such as bananas, avocados, and dried apricots
- nuts such as almonds or cashews
- Chickpeas, legumes, and seed cereals
- Foods containing soy
- Whole grains (such as brown rice and millet)
Diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids: As we have mentioned earlier in the article, the lack of omega-3 in the body can also be a cause of autism. Including foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids in the diet can also help reduce the symptoms of autism. The following foods are rich in omega-3 fatty acids:
- Fish such as salmon, minnows, albacore tuna, trout, and sardines,
- flaxseed and oil
- Chia seeds
- Canola and Soy Oil
- Soybeans and Tofu
Probiotic-rich diet: Adding a probiotic-rich diet to the patient’s diet can also be beneficial, which can help reduce stomach problems caused by autism. The following foods can be included for probiotics:
- A kind of cheese
- Ice Cream
- Milk powder
- Fermented Milk
After knowing about the foods to be eaten in Autism Spectrum Disorder, further in the article we are telling about the foods which should not be eaten.
Gluten-rich diet: In many cases, people with autism may be allergic to gluten-containing foods. In such a situation, it is advisable not to take a gluten-rich diet, such as:
- Barley (contains malt, malt flavoring, and malt vinegar)
- Triticale (a crossbred grain between wheat and sickle)
- Other gluten-rich foods:
- Bread and other baked products
- Soy sauce
- Canned or deep-fried foods
- Canned foods, including frozen foods, soups, and rice mixes.
- Salad Dressing, Sauce
- Some candy, licorice
- Certain medicines and vitamins
Next, you will learn how to treat autism medically.
Autism Spectrum Disorder Treatment
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), no drug has yet been developed that can treat autism. Therefore, doctors recommend taking medicines that can help a person with autism lead a normal life, such as controlling energy levels or depression or helping people with problems concentrating. Autism Treatment can be treated by reducing its symptoms with the help of some therapy along with medicines, such as:
Behavior and Communication Therapy: In this, work is done on the social communication and behavior of the person. It includes such therapy in which the patient is taught to dress, eat, bathe, respond to sound or touch, control the way of talking and emotional behavior, etc.
Dietary therapy: In this, supplements of vitamins and minerals are given in the diet of the sufferer to reduce the symptoms of autism. Along with this, those nutrients are added to the diet, which is lacking in the patient’s body. In this therapy, changes are made in the diet of the patient.
Complementary and Alternative Treatments: This therapy is rarely used. In this, special foods are included in the diet of the patient. Along with this, a process like chelation (the process of removing metals like lead from the body) can also be included in this therapy.
After knowing the treatment of autism, in the next part of the article, know about the ways to avoid autism.
Ways to prevent autism
Some things that can be kept in mind during pregnancy as a way to avoid autism, such as:
- Adequate intake of folic acid during pregnancy may reduce the risk of autism in the unborn child.
- Nuchal translucency (NT) and triple marker tests can be used to detect neural tube defects in the fetus. With the help of this test, any such problem in the baby can be prevented before it happens.
- Do not take medicines other than those prescribed by the doctor during pregnancy.
- Get your baby checked up and vaccinated regularly after birth.
Now you must have understood almost everything about Autism. Keep in mind that because of the symptoms of autism spectrum disorder, people with autism often lose their self-confidence, which is why it is important to treat them properly. Also, with the help of the right medical treatment, therapy, and home remedies for autism, its symptoms can be reduced. This can help a person lead a normal life. With the help of the therapy mentioned in the article, get the treatment of autism spectrum disorder done only under the supervision of a specialist.
Frequently Asked Questions –
Yes, a person/child with autism can lead a normal life. Sometimes with the right treatment, the symptoms of autism can be reduced or removed, with which the patient can lead a normal life.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there is no blood test available to diagnose autism. However, autism can be diagnosed with the help of some symptoms such as speech problems, unusual behavior, and other symptoms.
Yes, the use of cannabinoid oil can help reduce the symptoms of autism in children. At the same time, it is difficult to say scientifically whether it can be used for a long time or not.
Autism primarily affects the cerebral cortical region of the brain.
If a child shows any symptom of autism or any other unusual behavior, a doctor should be consulted immediately.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there are no medicines yet that can treat autism. However, doctors recommend a people with autism take medicines that can help them lead a normal life.